1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby V's awkward ad-lib

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I saw about 10 minutes of the home run derby, including the part where Berman inexplicably tried to make the point that it's almost 50 years to the day that Mark Scott, the host of the original Home Run Derby, died of a heart attack at 45.

Valentine said, "He never got excited. How could he have a heart attack?"

It's rare that you'll have Berman and Joe Morgan in the booth and someone else actually says the stupidest thing of the night.
  2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's cold-blooded, but it's also kind of funny.
  3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny. Sounded like observation that Bobby had dusted off before
  4. Liut

Liut Active Member

Hosted? Almost 50 years? I'm confused.
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bobby V was barely 10 when Mark Scott went Fred Sanford on us, so I say WTF.
  6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

From his "Fatal Heart Attack" joke file? Works at the Friars Club, I'm sure, maybe not so good on ESPN.
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I didn't see this but in the spirit of Mark Scott and Home Run Derby, the exchange should have been:

"Boy, he sure made that joke awkward, didn't he Joe?"
    "Yep, he sure did Chris."
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Morgan would have also added: "I remember once Johnny Bench told a joke like that before Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. Today's players have nowhere near the sick sense of humor that the guys I played with did."
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too soon?
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's a fine line.
    I guess I would label more in bad taste than stupid.
    Majority of audience probably had no clue what he was talking about.

No doubt a baseball guy like Bobby grew up watching that show religiously.
  11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bobby on his worst and dumbest day is infinitely better than the boobs he had to share a booth with last night.
  12. CR19

CR19 Member

True. Everyone is permitted to make a mistake once in a while. Besides, I'd rather see Bobby Valentine comment on baseball matters any day than Joe Morgan.
Draft saved Draft deleted