1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Valentine to Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly - you would think that ESPN would write it into its analysts contracts that if you accept another job with a sports organization you let a supervisor know.
    I realize Meyer and Valentine aren't the first cases, but its a hell of a way to treat an employer who has helped keep you relevant while you are on the beach. You tell the new employer yes, you call the wife and then you call your old employer. It's as simple as that.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Start hating both.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Last year they had a dysfunctional clubhouse and internecine warfare between the various levels of management. The sole thing they had going for them was a levelheaded and selfless manager to calm the waters and now...they've got Bobby Valentine in his place.

This is going to be entertaining.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO the naming of a "celebrity" manager almost always indicates the front office that hired him has run out of ideas about dealing with its team's real issues. I sure as hell would be less than eager to become manager of a team which has no closer as of the date of my employment. Also, an as of now three-man starting rotation, two of whom helped get the last manager fired and the third coming off a serious injury.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Who?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Saltalamacchia. (sp?)

7. Fun with quotes - the wit for the witless.

BTW - don't knock a 70-year old grandmother until you've knocked one. Experience means alot.

How soon before ESPN names Terry Francona as Valantine's replacement on Sunday Night Baseball?

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I knew who he meant. Just messing around.

9. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

At least that Nana isn't passing bum checks all over town

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So there are about 5 managing jobs you would accept then.

I highly doubt this is the roster that will be trotted out in April. The Sox still have a ton of talent and more importantly a ton of money.

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Never liked Valentine, though did enjoy when one of his eateries opened in the area. Always been a Sox fan, though watching the way this management team does business - trashing people on the way out the door - has turned me sour.

It's a team hard to root for, and Valentine seems like a guy who is hard to root for as well. Might be time to just sit back and enjoy the circus.

Draft saved Draft deleted