1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Valentine to Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I guess Gene Lamont must have made a hell of an impression on his second interview.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's amusing on many levels that the Mothership still has to say on-air "sources say" Valentine will be the Red Sox manager. He's only your 1A in-booth baseball analyst. Does no one have his phone number? Know where he lives to get it confirmed? Have it in his contract that "if you leave, we get the story."? This on top of the Urban Meyer joke/debacle.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

The beer and chicken wings in the clubhouse will be replaced with Big Papi getting a blowjob in the corner of the dugout between at bats.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Valentine's in the middle of flying from Japan to Boston, per Gordon Edes, so I'll cut 'em some slack.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Except thats not going to happen. There's no way this team is going to be 12 games out in June:

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Gonzalez
    Ortiz
    Youkilis
    Crawford
    RF TBD
    Saltalaconsonants
    Scutaro

Valentine has never managed a team half this good. The bad apples are either already gone (Lackey), on their way out (maybe Wakefield and/or Varitek), hopefully doing a lot of growing up right now (Lester and maybe Buchholz) or completely marginalized by the offseason's doings (Beckett).

Valentine is going to be fine, and going to be smart enough to just leave Ellsbury and Gonzalez alone and to not ask either of them to be something they aren't (leaders or personalities), a la with Piazza in New York. He'll encourage Crawford and bond with Pedroia and tell Beckett to get his fat ass in shape or to get out of town. It'll be interesting to see if Valentine takes on Ortiz, who is the veteran presence in that clubhouse much like Vaughn was in New York in 2002, but I imagine Bobby will have a longer contract than Ortiz (not nearly as lucrative, of course) and won't be as insecure about his presence.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Somebody needs to go back in time to August 30 and start an "I'm not shitting you: This. Will. Actually. Happen." thread on SOSH.

I'd pay to read it.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

They would have went berserk.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Me too.

Valentine telling the story behind dugout disguise and guaranteeing the Mets would win 35 of 50 games. I still think he's overrated but it's a pretty cool story:

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The ESPN bottom line says, paraphrasing, ESPN baseball analyst will be Red Sox's next manager, sources tell ESPNBoston.com.

There's no spinning how ridiculous that looks, even if Bobby V. is looking down over Hawaii.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted