1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby V Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

"All you can do is tell Youk we love him. All it says is we have each others' backs," he said. "We're pulling for each other on the field and in the clubhouse. We've got a strong bond."

--Adrian Gonzalez

And, of course, the Red Sox would never smear a player whose option they may not exercise, right?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen that. And maybe Ortiz has spoken up and I didn't see it, but I think his opinion holds a lot of weight and I haven't read any comments from him (I haven't been searching too hard either, though).

Anyway, I don't think it's a secret that Youkilis is a pain in the ass. As I noted above, that's fine as long he's producing.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A feud with Youk is one thing. If V loses Pedroia and Gonzalez, he will be gone. They are stars with long-term contracts and as such outrank everybody but the principal owner.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You mean Larry Luchino right?

5. It should be noted that Lucchino is operating on the last year of his contract.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I guarantee that is part of the reason he went after Youkilis in the first place. If it all went to hell, they could let Youkilis walk after the season.

Part of me thinks Bobby was testing his limits with the players. He wanted to call out a star and see if the players would push back, or take it and let him assert control.

He probably saw some of the friction that Youkilis has with other players and figured he'd be an easier target. There was no way he'd go after Pedroia or Ortiz, the fan-favorites and faces of the organization, or Gonzalez whose contract is too big to piss off so soon.

The answer appears to be that Bobby better change his ways if he wants to last.

7. Boom_70

Do you think Terry Francona tipped Bobby V on idea that Youk was a clubhouse problem?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bobby V's a lot of things, but he's no dummy. Short of winning the World Series twice, he's not going to last beyond next year, when John Farrell's contract expires in Toronto. He's got nothing to gain by treading carefully, not that he ever did that in the first place. May as well let his id lead the way.

As for Adrian Gonzalez' quotes--yawn. He strikes me as having already earned a doctorate in cliche speak. Of course he's going to say something like that. Pedroia's words ring much truer and more important to me.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If even BYH knew it, certainly Bobby V did. I mean, BYH doesn't know anything.

10. How do we know Bobby V's not a dummy? What's he ever won? Two consecutive trips to the playoffs with the Mets is his claim to fame. There's a reason he couldn't get a MLB job for the past decade.

This guy is the second coming of Kevin Kennedy.

11. Boom_70

Just to be clear I meant no slight to BYH as you clearly did.
    I think BYH is brilliant.

12. Let me also say that Bobby V is VERY lucky he did not say this on his Michael Kay radio spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted