1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby V Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How is this thread a bit early? I was not at all suggesting that he would be fired. I just thought that it would be better to have one Bobby V thread to follow all the great story lines that are sure to come.

Has he cozied up to any writers yet that will be his go to guys like he did with The Mets?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've never heard this before. Do you have any stories, links or personal anecdotes that suggest this is true?

Best I can tell in this situation, Bobby is already pissing off the players. Pedrioia's comment -- "maybe that works in Japan" -- is kind of telling. His condescending style isn't going to play well in a veteran clubhouse like that.

I'm picking them for fourth place behind Toronto, New York and Tampa Bay.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is from a Jackie MacMullen story last year:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7036983/underachieving-boston-red-sox-flunked-chemistry

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Youk IS a pain in the ass. Always moping around glowering and bitching about how tough it is in Boston b/c there's so much attention. Hey Youk. Anywhere else in America and you're making half the money you're making, nobody's chanting YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUK (which they've been doing since he was in rookie ball) and the one-time fat kid from Cincinnati isn't marrying Tom Brady's sister.

Jackie MacMullan wrote about Youk's combustibility last year: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7036983/underachieving-boston-red-sox-flunked-chemistry She mentions how he criticized Ellsbury for not rehabbing with the team in 2010. And let's not forget how he and Manny exchanged blows in 2008 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1143695/3/18/index.htm).

(Edit: DAMNIT PERN!!!!)

Bobby V knew exactly what he was doing, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He likes to pick fights with the vulnerable (unless he wants to defend them, a la Armando Benitez) and those he knows he can get a rise out of. Youk is a fading, on-the-way-out vet (free agent at the end of the year) who doesn't have the political capital of a David Ortiz and who has a perpetually short temper. Everything went exactly as Bobby planned, except for Pedroia taking up such a passionate defense of Youk. I think most people are surprised by it, but that's Pedroia, who should be the captain right now.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Oh I can see Kevin having a personality conflict with a teammate that boils over from time to time, because he is very intense (about baseball) and a veteran guy on the club. In fact this has happened, even before last year. But what Bobby V said, however, is that Youkilis doesn't appear to be as "physically or emotionally into the game" as he used to be. The way his teammates have rallied around Youkilis in this instance suggest they don't have a problem with him.

6. BTW - if I recall correctly didn't Youk have a feud with Shoppach when they were both at Pawtucket that ended with Shoppach being traded away?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I <3 Bobby V.

8. Boom_70

But clearly Bobby V knew that this would create a media fire storm. Nothing Bobby V says is without a purpose.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If difficulties continue, could it be accurate to say the game has passed Valentine by?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was just following up on Gator's point about how Sox fans could turn on him.

I don't think there's any question Youkilis rubs some people (not all) in the clubhouse the wrong way. Pedroia and Youkilis are similar players, so I'm not surprised they'd get along and that Pedroia would get his back. But I haven't seen anyone else jumping to his defense, either, including Ortiz.

11. Boom_70

I was reading that the pitchers are grumbling also because Bobby is calling every pitch from the dugout.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pedroia and Youkilis are similar, but everyone likes Pedroia. He manages to be a redass while endearing himself to teammates. Simply not the case with Youkilis.

Draft saved Draft deleted