1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Ross stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cortez, Jan 29, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wish I knew enough about the situation at Army to be able to call bullshit on the "Iraq hurts" idea, but I don't.

I'm sure the NYT will eventually pursue that angle, if it's there ...

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As long as either school has a winning Heisman Trophy alum alive, it won't happen.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'd be more than a little concerned about Iraq if I was a teenager thinking about where I wanted to play college football.

That said, it remains an honorable decision. Hey they're programmed to follow orders.

Stan Brock is going to succeed Ross. He was an offensive tackle for 13 years for the Saints -- "holding, No. 67, offense" was a familiar phrase during his tenure -- but an effective run blocker on the right side. Stan was on Bobby's '95 Chargers team that got its ass kicked in the Super Bowl.

Brock is not exactly Mr. Personality, but his NFL background can't hurt at West Point.

4. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Does this sudden "retirement" make Bobby a last-minute candidate for the Cowboys job? He's only 70.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought Ross had them on the right track, though. You can't win at the service academies doing what everyone else does. You need to run Paul Johnson's or Fisher DeBerry's flexbone to make maximum use of the athletes you've got.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe the Lions or Chargers should re-hire him.

He went farther with those teams than their current dopes.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is it true that Bob Ross died from sniffing glue?

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I think Ross left the program in a little better shape than Todd Berry, but not much. I mean, Army was minus-18 in turnovers last season, worst in the nation. I know the QB was a frosh, but still. . .

As others have said, the Black Knights probably should go back to some kind of triple option-oriented offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted