1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Knight quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Feb 4, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Big difference between quitting at the All-Star Break (I believe) than with six weeks left.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Awesome.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't he win the National Championship the year after that rant?

I'm sure it makes Knight smile knowing that Purdue watched him win it from their dorm rooms.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why? Hargrove walked out on his team in the middle of a season because he was tired of it.
    Knight, who's been doing this a lot longer than Hargrove and is 68 years old, just did the same thing and you calling him a gutless quitter.
    Sorry, you can't have if both ways.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You grit your teeth and you do the best job you can for four or five more weeks. You know it won't be as good as the job you did when you were young and sharp and energetic and hungry, but you don't quit. You do what you can under the circumstances, finish out the season, and THEN leave. You owe it to the players on this year's team to do that.

If your health is such that you just can't do it, then for christ's sake, say so and quit. Nobody would bitch about that. If your health says quit, then quit.

But if you're just quitting because you don't "feel like it" anymore, that's a whole different deal.

If every coach who "didn't feel like it" at some point during the season quit, then come late February, about 70% of all college benches would be empty.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm a Knight guy. I graduated from IU his final year. Hell of a coach, hell of a temper.

I have tickets to see him coach Texas Tech in a few weeks . . .oh well. Saw him coach last year, one last time.

A resignation with 10 games to go is tantamount to quitting on your team. I can't imagine that from Coach Knight. Maybe he wanted to secure Pat's future? I hope it's nothing health-related.

Good luck to a coach whose greatness was never tarnished by racism, Sam Gilbert, or myriad Final Four chokes.

Whether it was tarnished by his being a prick is up to the individual.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

No, the titles came before that rant. Because earlier in it -- you can download it here (http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/BobbyKnightTirade.mp3) -- he rips Greg Graham a new one.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So you agree that Mike Hargrove is a gutless quitter, too, Starman?

10. Probably, he sure did have a hard on for the Boilers.

By the way, national championship is lowercase

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

...and Bobby Petrino, and anyone else who up and walked out in the middle of the season.

Before you rip the old man, Starman and BYH, name off a few others besides Grover who quit? We're still waiting.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much, except the Mariners had about 60 games left in their season, not 8-10 like TT does now.

Draft saved Draft deleted