1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Knight on Calipari: How is he still coaching?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Seriously, grow up... and cut out the doobies.

The vast majority of coaches are just as aggressive.

And, what you call abusive, I call authoritative. The coaches I had, who were just like Knight, kept me out of trouble long enough for me to figure out the right path.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In my mind, Calipari's clearly aware of the executive separation/Mafia success code . . . make sure you keep a couple of layers of personnel between yourself and the dirtbags doing the really dirty work, so you can claim that you're clean in public.

As for Knight . . . you want to play in the Little General's world, you have to scrupulously adhere to all of the Little General's personal rules and guidelines. The price is far, far too high, given the man's clearcut, multiple faults.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Digger Phelps and Dick Vitale co-wrote the manual of how to play in the General's sand box.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The treatment Recker got when he came back to Assembly Hall made me ashamed to be an IU fan. That night still bothers me to this day.

5. partain

partain Member

Maybe Knight should have stuck a little closer to home and called out Kelvin Sampson instead.

edited to add: Forgot Kelvin isn't in college coaching these days. But Indiana still hired him amid plenty of allegations.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I have no idea what kind of outfit would hire someone like Sampson now.

*Turns, stares at Bubbler.*

7. Michael

Michael Member

For the record, Recker did NOT transfer to Iowa to be closer to his paralyzed girlfriend and her family. She was a student and cheerleader at IU, and after the accident moved back to her family's home in southern Indiana.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've got no qualms with Kelvin Sampson these days. He's received some of the credit for Brandon Jennings' development with the Bucks.

Not only that, he destroyed IU basketball. Hell, he's high on my heroes list.

Draft saved Draft deleted