1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Knight on Calipari: How is he still coaching?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2009.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

My guess is no.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Probably a wise choice, and a good point. A lot of choosing which one you'd want your kid to be around depends on the kid. But despite Knight's warts, and they are grotesque, I'd take him as a mentor to my kid over Calipari any day.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're going to let Cal skate on that paltry explanation of the UMass days, after he got out of Dodge of course, I suspect you won't acknowledge anything that's actually happening. But here's a summation of the NCAA's allegations against Memphis (remember, you asked for a link of anything Calipari is alleged to have done):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4210798

Although the genesis of the plan to chea on Derrick Rose's SAT is unclear (and if you want to think the school was uninvolved in that, go right ahead I guess), Memphis is also accused of paying travel expenses for someone in his posse. So even if you think Memphis was clean as a whistle and the best player in Chicago just happened to want to play there because he wanted to visit Graceland, there is that other matter of how his friend got the money. But hey, I'm sure Elvis is what brought Tyreke Evans in from Pennsylvania too.

Believing John Calipari is on the level would have to be one of the most gullible leaps of faith in all of sports. But that's what college hoops does, like when Mike Montgomery noted how Billy Donovan was rewarded for his cheating and the whole issue exploded -- on Montgomery, even though Roy Williams and others had been accusing Donovan of cheating on the recruiting trail for years.

Bob Knight speaks the truth. But doesn't he work for ESPN? I want to hear him say it there. I won't, of course, but I want to.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think "get your way in life by being an intimidating asshole," "motivate your troops by showing them shit smears," or "try to beat up your boss if you don't like him" are the type of life lessons I'd want my child taught in college. Plenty of ways to help people be good players and good students without being the way Knight was.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Well, I'd respond to Mr. Knight's assertions, but I'm still watching video of him throwing chairs onto the court, and choking his players, and kicking his son."

/visions of how Calipari could respond.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Ball - you - man" The General.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd let my kid play for Knight before I ever let him play for Calipari.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not me. I'd let my kid play for Calipari. Think about all the kickbacks I'D get?

9. Mizzougrad96

Calipari is the dirtiest college coach of the last 20 years. That includes Jim Harrick and Jerry Tarkanian.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thank you for exposing this board to the ridiculous logic of the hyper-Knight IU fanboy set that was once routine inside the state of Indiana.

Deflect attention off the bully and put it on those he bullied. Some things never change.

11. Mizzougrad96

That's true, the UK boosters would buy you a nice house.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd let my kid play for (good Bob Knight buddy) Dave Bliss. Then my son could make up a story that one of his dead teammates was a drug dealer.

Draft saved Draft deleted