1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Knight on Calipari: How is he still coaching?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Knight calls out Kentucky's Calipari in return to Indiana

CBSSports.com
    INDIANAPOLIS -- Bobby Knight said integrity is lacking in college basketball and cited Kentucky coach John Calipari as an example.

During a fundraiser for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame, Knight said he doesn't understand why Calipari is still coaching.

"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You see we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."

Amen, General.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, another school hired Knight after he abused his players...so you know, the system's been in place for some time now.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Bobby Knight lecturing on integrity?

Now THAT'S funny.

What's next .. the Cubs on how to be a winner? :D

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bob Knight, in Indiana, tweaking Kentucky. Old habits die hard. Too bad Bruce Weber seems like a good guy, or else Knight might have gotten more shots off at Illinois, too.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought of that too, Bob. If Calipari was coaching out west, no big deal. But the guy's at an Indiana Basketball HoF fundraiser. He's getting the congregation to fill the collection plates.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If you happen to have a link to any of Knight's NCAA trouble, please provide it.

Sure, he's a prick. And he abused his players, both verbally and physically. He produced many embarrassing moments for his last two universities. His foibles were often dismissed because he won games. He seldom showed respect for people who didn't genuflect to him. He attempted to control the media, and is just an all-around boorish individual.

But on this particular topic? He has every right to wonder why in the hell a scumbag like Calipari is still coaching.

Sadly, I also think this is an example of dude knowing his audience. He's become quite adept at disingenuousness for the purpose of raising money.

7. imjustagirl

But you don't see the humor in a scumbag like Knight asking it? Really? The guy who should have been fired years before he was and never should have gotten another job where he'd be in charge of young men?

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

No sale. Scumbag in general plus lily-white on NCAA compliance still adds up to scumbag... in my book, at least.

But having spent several years working in Indiana, I know from experience that there's a fanboi contingent there that thinks the guy walks on water.

Good message ... bad messenger.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Exactly. I admire Knight as a basketball mind, but, c'mon. Someone who physically abused student-athletes has no right to talk about "integrity."

10. imjustagirl

This.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Abused players?

He treats players like almost EVERY other coach in major D1 in football or basketball do.

The one big difference?

He didn't cheat.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Pot, meet kettle.

Draft saved Draft deleted