1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Jindal releases his birth certificate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

In my experience, which is not unlimited, this is categorically false.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Either way, they're not the same.

The Indian sub-continent is a big place with over a billion people.

The "joke" that Abbott made was the equivalent of making a joke about a German using a stereotype about French people.

But, since they're brown and from the same sub-continent, he didn't distinguish between the two.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They are indeed citizens by virtue of the 14th Amendment, and there is a hell of a fight about it right now as the Tea Party and its friends make noise about trying to repeal that amendment. Cute story: The whole reason it's in the Constitution is to guarantee that black people post-slavery were considered U.S. citizens.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Heyabbott is constantly accused of making a racist joke. But did he ever really do it?
    It was mostly a strawman set up by YankeeFan to be knocked down and to deflect other criticisms.

5. Herbert Anchovy

I know one segment that my Gujaratis don't care for, but I'm not gonna light that bottle rocket on this thread.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

LJB, are you going the Junkie route on your post total?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same as you're going the BYH route on your post total.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And the teabaggers want to repeal it. Imagine my surprise.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He could take a year off, and I'd still never catch him

10. Herbert Anchovy

I prefer to be nothing more than a lawn ornament around here, to the untrained eye. An insignificant stormtrooper.

A four-digit post count makes that difficult.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, so black jokes about Obama are not OK, but we're allowed to say anything we want about someone of Indian descent?

Or is it only OK, because he's a republican?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the "joke" that Bill Clinton told Teddy Kennedy about Barack Obama. You know, the one where a few years ago, "he'd be serving us drinks".

But it's fine to diminish an Indian American's accomplishments, if he's a conservative Republican. Is he the Governor of Louisiana? No, he runs a Dunkin' Donuts in Metairie. Hysterical.

And, secretariat, how would you classify what he said?

It played on stereotypes related to the color of his skin and the sub-continent his parents are from.

And, it was so ignorant, it didn't even relate to the right group of people from India. But hey, it doesn't matter. Punjabis and Gujaratis are both brown, so the joke still works. Ha ha ha. So fucking funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.