1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Grich should be in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The problem is that your post is the first time the word "extreme" has come up on this thread.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

so would you include spnited in the obnoxious certitude?

3. My observation has been that HOF voters would do better to compare apples to apples, oranges to oranges. No punter in Canton? Only recently have closers started to get their due in Cooperstown. Ted Simmons' numbers compare favorably with the catchers in the HOF, but he was never the biggest star on his teams, so he's overlooked.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Like spnited, Abe is fighting the good fight.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Dear Rob Neyer and company,

Welcome to the HOF voting committee!

Signed,

Bert Blyleven and Jim Rice

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

who the hell is Bobby Grich?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Future HOF, veterans committee

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wait, so do walks come because you hit for power, or because you have a good batting eye?

Also, Giambi didn't hit with the Red Sox, but he did with everyone else. He had an OPS+ of 147 in 2002 and 123 in 2001 (according to Baseball Reference), meaning that he was above-average for on-base percentage plus slugging. And even with a sub-.200 average, he had a .342 OBP for the Red Sox, so being able to take a walk made him not a liability when he stepped up the plate.

Of course, Jeremy Giambi had bigger problems, like playing no defense, marijuana busts and taking steroids, so I'm not going to make the saber-nerd case for his Hall of Fame candidacy.

A better example of what being able to take a walk means -- Kevin Youkilis. He was a power hitter in college, and one thing that helped him develop his power in the majors was his great batting eye. You're not going to get him out on bad balls, so you have to give him good pitches to hit, and hit them he has. For all of Ichiro's gaudy hit totals, Youkilis has the higher OBP, and of course has a higher slugging percentage. He doesn't steal like Ichiro, but at the plate the numbers make the case you're far better off with Youkilis than Ichiro.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Logic, what a nice concept.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Second baseman Bobby Grich, right, is one of the most notable victims of the 5 percent rule. He did everything well, except hit for average."

Last sentence makes a lot of sense. Like trying to put a linebacker in the football Hall who did everything well except tackle. I know power guys can get a pass with a ton of HRs, but Bobby friggin' Grich is going to need to hit for average.

And I can find some fault in HOF procedures and voting, but the 5 percent rule ain't one of them. The difference between writers and sabermetricians isn't going to turn a 2 percent guy into a 78 percent.

Disappointing for a column like this to run in the NYT. Again, who is this author?

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Wasn't he a wrangler at Sammy Baugh's ranch?

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'll say this for Bobby, that is, for sure, a HOF mustache.

Draft saved Draft deleted