1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Grich should be in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

The people at Fire Joe Morgan have done a better job of eviscerating your antiquated way of thinking than I could ever do, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to emulate them.

But again, you're taking the flawed, misguided opinion of one guy and using it to represent the opinion of all sabermatricians.

Your entire premise is a logical fallacy.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ah, the "mother's basement" argument rears its ugly head. You sure you're not Bill Plaschke in disguise?

You need some fresh material.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bottom line: a system that worships Scott Hatteberg is far from perfect. Buckdub is about the only saberhead on here with a scintilla of perspective

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

will clark? seriously?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Around 1900, the statistics of "batting average" and "fielding average" were considered to be newfangled mathematical geekery. RBI wasn't a widely-accepted statistic until the 1920s.

"I don't need no newfangled math-book mumbo-jumbo to tell me who's a better hitter, I can see it with my own eyes."

While we're at it, Trammell and Whitaker have better numbers, by every measurement across the board, than 3/4 of the SS/2Bs already in the Hall. And they did NOT play during an era of offensive inflation.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I'm not a saberhead. I do not subscribe to Retrosheet or Baseball Prospectus or the Play Index. Nor am I a fossil who thinks my way is the only way and fuck anyone who tries something new to better appreciate and evaluate the game I love.

You should save the dismissive insults for Simon. He's better at it than you.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Grich did absolutely everything in the game brilliantly — except hit for average.

Brilliantly? Really? Bobby Grich?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't even talking to you, and your assessment of me means nil. And VORP is not an appreciation of the game. VORP is a "because I can" conceit, that is only a reflection of who the backup is.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Says you. Many disagree.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think you're confusing the title of a chapter of a book with reality.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

VORP! YAWP!

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Further proof that "statistically savvy" sabermetricians often have no clue what makes a Hall of Fame player."

Show me where I said all sabermasturbators sabermetricians

Draft saved Draft deleted