1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Cox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 30, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I rember Bobby Cox as the guy who took over for Charlie Smith at 3B for the '67 Yankees

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which led to a great quote from Cox: "We were a bad team. You know how I know? I was on it."

3. Boom_70

Does not say much for Charlie Smith then.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of my favorite baseball quotes ever came from Ted Turner.

When asked who was on his list to take the vacant Braves managerial job in 1981, he said, "It would be Bobby Cox if I hadn't just fired him. We need someone like him around here."

He hired Joe Torre instead. Then rehired Cox as GM in 1986.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

He'll be remembered for giving me that BJ back in Reno. At least, that's how I'll remember him.

Really, though, I had the opportunity to interview the guy at spring training, and I didn't lose sight of the fact that he's a baseball legend.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Apparently you're too young to remember Gene Mauch.

7. boots

boots New Member

Gene Mauch was a nice guy. He was just unwilling to change and that's why he could never get over the hump.

8. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Yeah, people get on Cox for losing those World Series, but how many of those should the Braves have won? Leibrandt to face Puckett was a bad move in '91, but it was amazing that team even got that far. Toronto was definitely the better team in '92. The Braves blew the '96 Series, without question, but the Yankees were the better team in '99 (even though the Braves won 103 games).

The year they won, they took out a team that won 100 games in a short season. Not too shabby.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

jones --

Cox was rightly pilloried for bringing a junker in to face a junkball hitter, but I tend to subscribe to Steve Rushin's theory of that move:

It didn't matter who was pitching, the man was going to hit a home run.

10. Boom_70

It was bad matchup with Leibrandt and Puckett- who was a junk ballhitter.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm a life-long Bravo, but there was nothing funnier than seeing Bobby get the hook at Candlestick.

It was a long. Cold. Waddle back to the visitors' clubhouse. Generally about a twenty-minute stroll.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dude, I think you just supplied the first line for the SportsJournalists.com summer novel ...

Draft saved Draft deleted