1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Bowden Retires - IT DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I can understand the sentiment that Bowden should be able to walk away on his terms.

But, the flip side to that is he should also know/admit it's time, if not past time, to do so.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Amato was one to talk. Plenty of kids at NCSU under his regime were not exactly Rhodes Scholars.

Tom O'Brien has dismissed 27 players during his three years following Amato's ousting. You think all of those were because they refused to do push-ups and sit-ups?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. 27? Really?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tom O'Brien allows no bullshit. That number actually seems low to me.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So that's about nine a year? I guess it's not as over-the-top as I first thought, but still...that's a good-sized number. I'd like to know how that relates to other ACC schools' numbers.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup, 27. They finished 5-7 and that's not too sharp, but better this and get this program cleaned up than put up with Chuck Amato's crap again. Twenty-seven might be low, Moddy. Wouldn't put it at all above O'Brien to lowball that number because he feels it's more important for him to get things straightened up than brag to everyone that there's a new sheriff in town.

Hats off to Amato for getting some Wolfpack Club members to crowbar their wallets open for something besides another red polyster jacket. But otherwise, see ya and good riddance. The guy was embarrassing, and his remark about Akron epitomized the point. Akron accepts non-qualifiers? Yeah ... and Tramain Hall, among others, just "needed some paperwork clarified before being admitted." Uh-huh ...

7. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Back to Bowden, I love the fact that the State Trooper who is his bodyguard -- Billy Smith -- has been guarding him since 1976.
    Or, to put it in perspective, that dude has been Bowden's muscle since the year I was born.

Smith is like 78 and is a guy who, no matter how old he is, is not to be messed with.

8. Moderator1

Back to O'Brien, only momentarily. I've covered a zillion coaches. If I made a short list of coaches I'd send my kids to play for, he'd damn sure be on it and maybe at the top.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Granted the dismissals were over a period of three years but tossing 27 kids is the equivalent of skipping one season of recruiting and signing two under the limit in the next class.

That sounds like a lot to me.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Amato will be gone 10 minutes after the clock hits 0:00 in the bowl game. He and Fisher despise each other. Dexter Carter also is history. Don't know about Odell Haggins. The only guys apparently safe with Fisher are Trickett and Dawsey.

11. Moderator1

It IS a lot, in general. By low, I meant the number I would have guessed that O'Brien would have cleared out.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know a few people who played for him and have that kind of respect for him. Nothing flashy about O'Brien; just a very solid, fundamentally sound football coach with high, but reasonable, expectations of his players.

Draft saved Draft deleted