1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Bowden Retires - IT DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Fourteen straight years in the top five.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You mean Rock Cartwright of K-State fame?

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

FSU had a Rock Preston back in the '90s. Perhaps that is the Rock that is being referenced.

4. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I'm surprised because with Ponder coming back and a defense that has to be better, FSU was due for a turnaround in 2010. It would have been one more good year for Bowden to go out on.

I wonder if he would have retired earlier had they beaten Tennessee or Oklahoma in those NC games. I still don't understand how they lost either one.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well you haven't been paying attention - they lost to Tennessee because everyone knows the SEC is so far superior to the ACC and every other conference that they never had a chance......

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He never wanted a lot of attention attracted to it. Didn't want a retirement tour or anything like that. So it makes sense from that point of view.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

There will be plenty of bowl game press conferences for questions to be asked of Bowden. I assume his emotions are running amok right now and he seems like the type of guy who doesn't want to cry in front of a podium.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Haven't read the whole thread but I hear the Gator Bowl will offer a spot to the Seminoles ...

... and West Virginia, his former school. Where he was burned in effigy.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Let the tears flow for an old man who was the highest-paid state employee, for a good while.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dadgum it. I guess FSU's appeal to have the wins reinstated will now be moot. I'll miss Bobby, don't know how many years I rooted for him to win a national title before he finally got one. An no senior citizen wore cooler shades.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

14 years in a row finishing.... finishing.... in the top 4 in the polls.

Absorb that.

It will not happen again in any of our lifetimes.

A great, great man who should have been allowed to leave whenever the hell he wanted.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Won't argue with S-P and his belief that Bobby Bowden might have hung on too long, but if ever a case where a man should have been able to retire on his own terms, this was it.

That the athletic department gave him the choice to retire or take a greatly reduced role well behind Jimbo Fisher was despicable. We can only hope that at least one more athletic director learned not to pull this ridiculous "coach-in-waiting" crap. There's a trend that can't disappear fast enough.

There wasn't a program before Bobby Bowden got to Tallahassee. He did it with a smile, a classy manner and, in an era where these coaches all treat the media like yesterday's barn refuse, the man was kind to each and every one. See EF's story and Mizzougrad's.

It should be noted now. No telling how much some media will fondly recall Bobby Bowden when another program has a Nick Saban-style media lockdown as a result.

Draft saved Draft deleted