1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Bowden Retires - IT DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

His interview with ESPN Radio this weekend seemed to indicate he wanted to step aside after next year, not this year.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

All the stories I've ever heard of people interacting with him have been like this one. They've all made me think he's a class act.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Nice job by the Tallahassee Democrat guys.

I just wish Steve Ellis were still around to report this story.

Best wishes in your retirement, Mr. Bowden.

And good luck, Mr. Fisher. You'll need it.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All indications are he did want to stay one more year but the admin wouldn't let him.

5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

He should get one last year, IMO.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think it is sad that a coach with such a great record and a long tenure at school gets forced out because of a few bad seasons. Granted he is old, but can't the have him as a figure head or something, like JoePa?

I mean what is going on in Happy Valley? JoePa can't be coaching that team, but who cares? He gives great quotes and his teams have been on fire for 3-4 years.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

His teams have mastered the art of beating nobody and avoiding upsets the past 3-4 years - which is all you need to do to be a 10-win team these days.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

OK, so aside from the statement deal, which I think is lame, I do feel for Bowden. I don't care if the guy is 100, he deserves to coach until he doesn't want to coach anymore.

The guy is Florida State football. Sure, there comes a time to move on, but you don't force out a guy who has done that much for the program. I mean, how many other college athletic programs can be defined so much by one person. When you think Florida State, you think Bobby Bowden.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Great personality that helped blind reporters of his failures as a coach. He left NC's on the table in the '90's with conservative and tight coaching which was the polar opposite of how he made his bones.

He doesn't deserve anything from the school. He forced the school to hire his son by circumventing state nepotism laws and when the kid proved incompetent, he blackmailed the school into giving the kid a $500,000+ golden parachute once Jeff was pushed out.

With Mickey Andrews retiring, the team needed a new DC and nobody was going to work for one year with BB being a lame duck coach.

Building a program does not give him the right to destroy it.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Absolutely - probably should have won it in 1991 and/or 1992 definitely should have won it 1997 (perhaps behind 1993 his second best team) should have won it in 1998 and in 2000 as well.

He should have had at the minimum of five of them.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

He's in the top 10 with regards to building a program, being a consistent winner along with the mediocre end, and popularity of college football nationally and in Florida where recruiting is a boon for all three Florida schools, and the players and the teams he had on the field. Neon Deion to Peter "Von Maur" Warrick, Rock Cartwright, and all of those damn "Scott Norwood-wannabe" PKs who broke the Seminoles' fans hearts.

Don't like how this is going down, but FSU needed to resolve it and this is the course they took. Tuesday's presser is going to be a must-watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted