1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Bonilla's contract

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 4, 2012.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This is a fascinating read. BYH's head might just explode.

An excerpt:
    Only years later would it become clear why Wilpon went for the deferral: The $5.9 million went into a Madoff account, which was theoretically supposed to collect a double-digit interest rate over the life of the agreement. Only about an 8 percent return would have been needed to pay Bonilla his $1.2 million a year from 2011 to 2035. The Mets did the math and figured they'd be able to turn a $60-70 million profit on the arrangement.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7879021/mlb-new-york-mets-pay-bobby-bonilla-millions-years-come-espn-magazine

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. Always liked Bobby Bo. Sure, he left Pittsburgh for the big bucks, just like Bonds, but it never felt the same. Maybe because Bonds was such a prick.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You don't have to like Bobby Bo to hate Bonds. Bonds may be the most insufferable little prick bastard douche-bag asshole ever to play a game. He is worthy of eternal disgust without qualification or comparison

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What's hilarious is he's also still getting $500,000 a year from the Orioles in until 2015 because of deferred payments there. (Although I think his ex-wife might be getting half of that.)

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If only Bonilla were a job creator.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bonilla was a prick, too. He just smiled more.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just another example of courageous risk-taking by the investor class for the good of Mets fans.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Personally, I've never had a trouble with Bobby Bo or Barry B. I knew they had prickish sides but I took it as them being them. Everybody has prickish moments.
    Got to give Bobby credit for making the deal. Great move on his part.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A rising Bonilla lifts all boats!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ty Cobb says hi.

12. If you judge it on a scale, Bonilla was a hell of a lot closer to, say, jeff king and jay bell than he was to Bonds as far as pricktitude goes. Bonds was a special kind of prick. Bonilla, in any dealing I or friends of mine ever had with him, was no worse than most athletes with a chip on his shoulder. And he could actually be nice on occasion. Something Bonds didn't have a clue about.

Draft saved Draft deleted