1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Abreu to NYY for steaming pile of crap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Here's some excellent analysis of the deal:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/439409p-363658c.html

Abreu is over-rated and I'm glad that the Yankees continue to try and buy the World Series (because that's never worked for them - the championships of the 90's were built around home grown players like Jeter, Williams, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte). As a Red Sox fan I also liked this factoid:

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Lou, those are good numbers and all, but Melky Cabrera is not the one getting replaced. Melky has been playing left field while they have been platooning Bernie Williams, Bubba Crosby, and <insert random junk off the scrap heap player here>.

Williams cannot play everyday and Crosby is a fine defensive player or pinch runner but nothing more. Abreu provides a fill for right field.

As to "continuing to buy a championship," I don't really see how that is different than the Red Sox or Mets or just about any other team out there. This move acquired one player at a position that wasn't occupied by some young star coming out of the farm system.

And as of right now, you still have Posada, Cano (when he returns), Jeter, Cabrera, Williams, Wang, and Rivera, who came out of the minor league system. How many more were on the last championship team?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And such-homegrown stars as John Wetteland.... and Tino.... and Paul O'Neill... and David Cone.... and El Duque... and Jeff Nelson... and Scott Brosius... and David Wells....

BTW, to which teams did the Yankees' homegrown stars go when they got their first huge contracts?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As an aside, the Phillies are on the hook for 5.5mil of Thome's contract thru 2009.

As far as the money the Yankees pay out. You have 2 choices, pay the money to players for the on field product or put the money into Steinbrener's pockets or his family's pockets. The Yanks have a large b=ayroll for the same reason a dog licks his balls, BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Boss George puts plenty of money in his pockets as it is, but he puts his money into his team, which is more than can be said for a few other franchises, like the Orioles.

5. I grant that Bubba Crosby is not a good player but consider that Abreu has the same number of HR as Bernie Williams in 35 more AB plus Bernie is a better defender - I don't see the upgrade Then you have Matsui coming back and he's a guy who does not want to sit on the bench. Then you factor in Sheffield's possible return and you have too many guys.

This was a short-term - nearsighted solution. Cashman went out and got a name player even though that guy now will be taking up a starting spot next year that would probably be better going to the younger Cabrera Instead the Yankees now have $15 million sunk into a guy who's probably on the slippery slope of decline.

And yes - during their championship years the Yankees also signed some top stars to complement the core guys from their farm system but now their core guys are aging and who will they have to replace them? Who is in the farm system to replace Bernie - Bubba Crosby? Who in the farm system can be groomed to replace Rivera the way Rivera was groomed to replace Wettland? Do they have another Jeter caliber player on the horizon?

The Red Sox have young arms like Papelbon, Lester and Hansen. Who do the Yankees have?

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here are few things...
    1. At this time, nobody knows when Matsui and Sheffield will come back. So, how long do you want to have some platoon in right field? The answer is, not very long.

2. Bernie is playing fine, but he cannot play everyday. As such, those RBIs are only good for the shorter timespan. On the days he doesn't play, you have someone like Guiel or Crosby playing the position so you are sacrificing production out of one of the spots in the line-up for those days. It is also very debatable as to whether Bernie Williams is a better outfielder. I have no idea what you have seen from Bernie in right field, but it isn't anything spectacular.

3. When Sheffield returns, it will most likely be as a DH. Abreu will play everyday anyway. When Matsui returns, he will play and it will be determined as to what to do with Cabrera then. Sure, there will be quite a few players, but Damon will be able to rest his foot every so often as Bernie will then be able to platoon out there. Giambi will begin playing more at first base.

4. I don't know how short term it is. If you look at the position right field will be empty next year. So, it looks like Abreu will be that guy. Personally, I liked the idea of Cabrera. I think he's a fine player.

5. Why are you talking about replacing Bernie Williams? I'm a little confused as to why his name is mentioned. He's already been replaced by Damon.

6. I don't know who is in the farm system. I don't think it matters all that much. I've read some names but I just don't care. There is no guarantee that they will be Jeter or Rivera. Just like, there is no guarantee that Papelbon won't shit the bed next year as a starter. Just like there is no guarantee that Hansen doesn't get injured and become the next Pavono.

At this current time, the Yankees are in position to lead the Wild Card race and the AL East. Having a platooning rightfield was not helping. Sure, an excellent pitcher would have been a far better pick-up, but if that isn't available, then you at least improve one position. At the end of the season, when the team has too many offensive weapons, I'm sure they'll look at this as a positive problem to have.

7. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I think it's probable Abreu will improve while playing in a stronger lineup. He has a lot of qualities that fit into the Yankees' system. He gets on base a lot, he historically hits for power, he can steal a base. He's going to have lot of opportunities to get big hits and he'll be protected.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Two things we know: Abreu has power, Cabrera does not. Abreu has a great OBP, fits well into the Yankee's MO.

I love how Chris_L comes on here posting as if Cashman is listening. Pure comedy. Yeah that's a great move -- Cabrera will give you 30-100. Good move, plug Cabrera permanently into the corners.

And anyone who doesn't think a big-market farm system exists primarily to produce trade bait is kidding themselves.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Lou,

Abreu's going to get on base at a 42.5% clip. While I agree his power (at least in terms of homers, though he's still a doubles machine) is largely gone, he's going to be all over the bases. And my guess is the Yankees have plenty of guys to drive him in.

He's going to score a ridiculous amount of runs in that lineup.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Lou:

With Matsui and Shef out - two 100 RBI guys - out of the lineup, the Yankees are still even in the loss column with Boston. Now you add another 100 RBI guy who has an OBP of over .400 and will draw 100 walks for the eighth straight season, and you say you aren't worried? You are whistling past a graveyard, my friend.

As for next year, you worry about that next year. This will be an improvement for the Yankees offense.

11. What I originally pointed out was that since Cabrera was called up - he's been more productive offensively than Abreu. And at this point - yes Cabrera probably has a better chance to be a 30/100 guy than Abreu (who despite all the love of him as the second coming has only managed 30 HR twice in his career). Abreu is not a great deal for the Yankees - he's supposed to be a power guy but he's got the same number of HR as Bernie Williams or shortstop Alex Gonazalez of the Red Sox.

Next year the Yankees will have Damon, Matsui and now Abreu under contract as the starting outfield costing $40 million. Having those three under contract probably take the Yankees out of the running for Andruw Jones or Carlos Lee - two players who could offer much more than Abreu. It also probably means that Sheffield is probably gone which makes me happy as a Red Sox fan because I feared his bat in big situations.

And for those who advocate putting Abreu at DH and having Giambi play the field - good luck with that. That move is sure to make the Yankee's starters real happy.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted