1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Abreu to NYY for steaming pile of crap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jul 30, 2006.

1. viamsp

viamsp Member

Re: Bobby Abreu in, and now out, of today's lineup

If this is the deal, it seems like it goes pretty much according to precedent in terms of the Phils trading away their stars. Schilling for Daal, Padilla, Lee and Figueroa. Rolen for Smith, Polanco, and Timlin. Out of those deals, they got a pitcher who gave them one above average year (Daal), an up and down starter (Padilla) and a decent second baseman who they didn't have space for once Utley was ready (although, I suppose you could argue Polanco should have been, and could still be, the starting third baseman).

If this is what they get for Abreu, seems like Gillick is following in the footsteps of Ed Wade. Not a good day for Phils fans.

2. rhetty1117

rhetty1117 New Member

As a diehard Phils fan, I agree that the names in the trade aren't great. But to be able to find a team to take all of the contracts for Abreu and Lidle, that's not bad. They need pitching, and they weren't going to get it from the Yankees. So maybe they can take the money and get some in the offeseason.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There was at least one team that offered top pitching prospects.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This is not a good trade for the Phils. I don't know how you can trade Abreu and not get at least one major league ready ballplayer in return.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

You're assuming that the Phillies owners are actually willing to spend that money, instead of just pocket it for themselves.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And just when I didn't think I could feel any worse about this deal.

7. viamsp

viamsp Member

Bill Giles: "Pat Gillick was just trying to help our team. This is just a misuderstading."

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, so who was it?

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

As a salary dump, Philly got just what they wanted. From a trade standpoint, I'm kinda shocked -- since Carlos Lee and a prospect was had for two major-league players, a fringe major leaguer and a prospect.

Henry has been an absolute disaster as a No. 1 pick. Smith's 27 and depending on who is on the list, this could essentially be Abreu/Lidle for nothing. The move makes sense for the Yanks -- Abreu just slides into Sheffield's spot for next season, both in the lineup and monetarily, while Lidle's a free agent at the end of the year.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Tigers have said they were willing to trade Humberto Sanchez, who was rated the No. 1 pitching prospect in the minors this year. And there was big talk that Tigers wanted Abreu, since he was a left handed bat.

They probably could have offered a major league player and pitcher (not Verlander or Zumaya) as well.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And yet, supposedly, they stopped talking to the Phillies long ago. And they later did the same with the Nationals. Sanchez probably could have been had, but I doubt the Tigers would have offered much more than that. Certainly no major-league players.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Regardless, as a Phils phan this is an unmitigated disaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted