1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Woodward at IRE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Sep 25, 2020.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Saw this clip floating on Twitter and thought I'd post it here. Woodward and a journalist got into it at IRE after she asked specifically who Woodward talked to when determining not to release the Trump comments on COVID-19. Both come off super aggressive and I don't really know if this exchange benefited anybody involved. Thoughts?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That’s a good video of the world passing Bob Woodward by.

3. I hope I retire before I end up like Bob Woodward who — regardless of his credentials and bona fides— comes off as hopelessly fucking dim AND has the gall to smear patronizing self-promotion on top.

What a dick. What the President told Woodward was dramatically different — and more dire — than what the President said publicly about the virus. How is that not news that a journalist would feel compelled to report at the time? What motivation would Woodward have for not reporting it other than book sales or he didn’t want to expend the effort.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The guy listened to more than 9 hours of Trump's bullshit. We all know he heard all kinds of crap and exaggerations. For all Woodward knew, that particular comment was just more Trump bullshit. Nobody would have rushed out to report a comment like that immediately. It's revisionist nonsense.

Woodward does what he does. He was working on a book -- was still working on it. I can understand not blowing the whole project up to rush out with a tidbit of information that would have had absolutely zero impact on anything by the time he could have felt comfortable bringing it to the public.

There was already a lot being promulgated about it being an airborne virus. From reputable, infectious disease experts, including early studies from China that were widely reported here. The same idiots who are still refusing to wear masks or distance wouldn't have behaved any differently if Bob Woodward had run out to report the comment.

As for that clip, I thought Woodward sounded old and out of touch, but the woman asking the question jumped down his throat and was not going to be satisfied by anything he said. He was in a no-win situation, even if he had handled it better. And then, because he refused to back down, she immediately went to accusing him of misogyny. What if it wasn't misogyny, he was just frustrated by a person (man, woman or martian) who was refusing to hear what he had to say and resorting to hyperbole about all the lives Bob Woodward should have saved?

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We read your long posts! :)

maumann likes this.
  6. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

He should have responded much better than how he did. I think by the time the virus started affecting the US in March/April, some alarm bell in his mind should have gone off that made him at least think about releasing the comments in which Trump totally contradicted what he said publicly. No matter his ultimate decision, you can clearly tell he never went through the process of even considering that.

However, she kind of ruined her credibility by making it sound like she’s on a crusade to avenge the death of her journalist friend at the end of the exchange.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I agree. Woodward wasn't going to rush out and report on one of Trump's bullshit statements. He said it took months to verify how much Trump knew and when he knew it.

8. Tech Trojan

Tech Trojan New Member

Who cares? This used to be a sports journalists forum. Not one for political trash talk.

InTheKnow22 likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you new here ... oh, wait.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

And what has changed since we now know that information? More trump rallies is the only difference I see.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

We need better labels on these threads. They should state, clearly, what the thread is about.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've watched many of the Woodward interviews and was shocked by his childlike wonderment at Trump's behavior.

Old is old but Trump is the same person he was in 1976. I don't know that Woodward is.

Draft saved Draft deleted