1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Smizik calls out radio host for claimed scoop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If he's the team radio guy, isn't there a good chance that someone in the organization feeds him information?

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

It's probably a little whiny of a column and the readers probably don't care, but I'll bet it's 100 percent right.

Anyone with a half a clue about the dynamics of the situation knew that Alvarez and all of the top college players from the draft were going to sign. What choice did they have? Maybe the radio guy just talked to some baseball people or scouts in the press box who, even without any knowledge of the negotiations, said: "I'm sure he's going to sign."

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sounds like this radio guy is never physically at the games, he's always at the station, which is why Smizik doubts this guy had the sources to claim a "scoop."

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just like I doubt that Smizik actually knows for sure whether the guy had a source or not.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

While he also pats his own employer on the back.
    That column never should have seen the light of day.
    All it was was a column about guessing that included nothing but guessing and speculation.

6. It is hilarious to read Smizik's column knowing he rarely goes to Penguins games but will write 5-7 columns over the course of a season. Rocco isn't a well-thought-of sports personality in Pittsburgh, there's a reason why he's still the pre/post-game guy for the Pirates and terrible ratings on the weekend shows.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

And the kicker is - no one cares.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I concur with those who have stated that readers couldn't possibly care about this.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Post Gazette brass didn't seen to care when Ron Cook wrote about unconfirmed reports that Wlat Harris had his girlfriends trampling around at practice in his final year (not saying it didn't happen, just saying that it wasn't attributed to anyone and wasn't observed firsthand), so why would they care about this?

10. markvid

markvid Guest

BYM, you raise a VERY good question.

11. exposbabe

exposbabe New Member

He also needed to actually talk to the guy before writing the column

12. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

OK, few thoughts here. First, who cares? Who gives a flying f***. Smize seems like he is arguing that the story should've broken a few hours later? Sounds like we're debating tomato and tomato here.

Second, it seems like Smize is just going after Rocco. Am I wrong? I know both of these guys, and the odds are that Smize is not happy that some "whippersnapper" may or may not have broken this story.

Third, and pardon me if I said this before, who gives a flying f***?

Draft saved Draft deleted