1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Smizik calls out radio host for claimed scoop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The radio blabberers got it right that he signed. How and when he signed it was what they got wrong.

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Ignore Radio. Their listeners don't care or have original thoughts. It's no different than ESPN claiming scoops on everything that ever happens.

3. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

I think it's good that Smizik called this guy out. There is no way in hell he broke that story ...

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What if the radio guy says Smizik just "throws stuff against the wall to see what sticks"? It easily can be played both ways.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The problem is that Smizik doesn't know that for a fact. With the exception of the bit about the second-round pick, he is guessing every bit as much as the guy he called out.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Smizik wasn't talking about himself here, but rather the Post-Gazette's beat reporter, Dejan Kovacevic ...

"Nobody outworks the Post-Gazette's Pirates beat writer Dejan Kovacevic and nobody had better sources on the story than him. His sources were telling him the deal wasn't done and nothing was expected until just before midnight. That is exactly how it played out."

7. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

What he does know is DeMaro has no history of breaking stories and doesn't even show up at the ballpark and cultivate sources. How could he possible have had some inside on that one? I think it's a legit beef because, as has been stated already in this thread, this shit happens all the time and it's hurting real reporters who break stories and have their shit stolen.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Christ.... then have a media writer rip them for every missed "guess" they take.

Otherwise, stop whining.

9. outofplace

I didn't say it wasn't an educated guess, but it was still a guess on Smizik's part. Do you really think it is ok for Smizik to be guessing while he is ripping this guy for doing the same thing?

10. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

Point taken, but I still think it's a legit beef, especially if the guy was bragging about "breaking the story" the next day ...

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Smizik guessing on the radio guys? Because he sure never guessed on Alvarez.

12. outofplace

Yes, I am talking about Smizik guessing about the radio guy. He is only making an educated guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted