1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Sheppard retires at age 99

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

You actually have a point there Ryan.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Close, but not quite.

The almighty uses Sheppard's voice during baseball season, but switches to the late John Facenda's voice during football season. ;D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And the guy from Philly during hoops season. Zinkoff?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The late Dave Zinkoff was another of the great arena voices.

As was John Condon..."Welcome to Madison Square Garden, the world's most famous arena."

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Zink was a great live announcer. Facenda was a great TV anchorman and announcer. You couldn't put Facenda as a house announcer and Zink on TV and get the same result.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yankees lineup in Sheppard's first game April 17, 1951, his first game happened to be Mickey Mantle’s first game:

Jackie Jensen LF
    Phil Rizzuto SS
    Mickey Mantle RF
    Joe DiMaggio CF
    Yogi Berra C
    Johnny Mize 1B
    Billy Johnson 3B
    Jerry Coleman 2B
    Vic Raschi P

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good call on John Condon but get his tag line straight "Welcome to the magic world of Madison Square Garden, the worlds most famous arena"

He was to The Garden what Shepard was to Yankee Stadium.

My favorite call of his - "no basket that was goooal tending"

When I think of Zinkoff I think of Hal Greer hitting a jumper and Zinkoff screaming Greeeer.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Geez, how then hell could I forget "the magic world of".

I know, old age.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jeter always gets a huge hand at the Stadium, naturally, when he comes to bat. But I'd like to think that part of it is Sheppard's announcement. It always adds that extra little touch.

10. True, they're two different types of announcing, but you can't beat Facenda's voice, IMHO.

Oh, and as long was we're on the subject of PA announcers, I'm sure (since I believe you from Georgia) won't mind me giving a shout out to the late, great Marshall Mann, former voice of the Braves and seemingly every event at the Omni.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Did he do any games this season? Can't remember who, (think it was the NY Times maybe Jack Curry) but there was an article this season that said he decided to retire. It was denied by his family, guess someone let word out before they were supposed to.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think he did any games. There was always hope that he would feel better and come back. Part of it, I think, is that the Yankees didn't want to look like they were retiring him, and wanted him to retire on his own terms.

Draft saved Draft deleted