1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Seger on Leno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To me "Brave Strangers" is Seger's best "obscurity". I just love that song. "Night Moves' still sounds great as does killer shit like "Makin' Thunderbirds", "House Behind The House", "Hollywood Nights", "Ain't Got No Money", "Sunspot Baby", "Roll Me Away" (which became "American Storm" and "Still the Same".

I hope I never hear "Like A Rock" or "Old Time Rock And Roll" again.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Live Bullet" was the shit, even when I was like 9. That's the benefit of having a brother 8 1/2 years older than you who played the hell out of that 8-track in 1977.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It's still the shit, I had it on the other day. Light years better than his othere live album.

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Couldn't agree more about that scene. It wasn't just a TV show I was watching for a distraction, that scene was one of the very few that I've ever seen that really hit the perfect note. It only lasted for a few minutes, but it's stayed with me ever since.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Surprised no one mentioned "Against The Wind." Tremendous song.

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Didn't Seger write "Get Out of Denver"? I love the Dave Edmunds cover of that, too.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

One of the reasons he's talking about touring is because his kids have never seen him tour. Saw him twice. Outstanding both times.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've heard some of his new album. Kick-ass version of Vince Gill's Real Mean Bottle with Kid Rock.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you wanted to see him on summer tours, you would have needed to be on his boat in the Chicago-to-Mackinac race. Big Bob has been far more into sailing than music the last 15 years.

Those of you who ever spent time within earshot of Indianapolis radio will understand this: I failed to appreciate Seger (and Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZTop) until I moved away from the airspace of Q95, pounding his songs into me every time I turned on the radio. Actually, on visits home, my wife and I still joke that it only takes 10 minutes of picking up Q95 before we hear the live version of "Turn the Page."

(Hearing Mellencamp within 10 minutes of entering the state is a given.)

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Did he do the thing where the sax player mysteriously winds up in the crowd and the spotlight finds him in time for his solo?

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

• Was there a studio version of Turn the Page?

• Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser for Live Bullet is my favorite Segerism, if anyone cares.

• His cover of Trying To Live My Life Without You is pretty quality, as wel.

"This is an old Memphis song ... and old Memphis song."

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Long Twin Silver Line" is outstanding, as well. "Main Street" is timeless.

Nobody put out better music between 1975 and 1983 than Bob Seger. I think he especially appealed to those of us who lived in the Midwest at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted