1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Schieffer (maybe) pulls out the claws against Katie Couric

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Jun 5, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if there isn't an infusion of talent at CBS. It's always been older skewing but if you look at their top people: Stahl (69), Kroft (65), Safer (79), Scheiffer (74), Plante (73), Osgood (78), Bob Simon (60), are all at least 60. "Young buck" Chip Reid is at least 50 and Pelley is 53. They have a deep bench but it could be empty in five years.
    It's not that the above aren't good, but they are taking up air time that could be being used to bring along the next wave.

2. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

In at least a couple books I've read about CBS, a lot of the blame for that is placed at the feet of Rather himself, who apparently spent a fair amount of time neutralizing anyone who looked like a threat to his pre-eminent position at the network, meaning that when it was time to replace him, there wasn't much of a pool.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'm sorry, but the "deep bench" line made me laugh.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

People take the "anchor" a bit too seriously. They're reading the news; that's it. Its not like they're "imbedded" with the 101st Airbourne flying into France.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's far and away the biggest factor in whether someone watches a given newscast. I'm not an anchor so I'd love to think otherwise, but if you don't have the right anchor you're screwed.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

And the other day, I thought I saw Roberts was now at Fox News. Sorry to hear about that.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I still associate John Roberts with his time on Much Music (Canadian MTV) as JD Roberts.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Anyone see Scott Pelley last night? Solid as a rock. The move CBS should have made 5 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted