1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan's done after London

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With a lot of these guys, they try to leave and the paper pays them to stay, even making crazy offers like six figures for a Sunday column or something like that.

I'm pretty sure Wilbon and TK tried several times to leave and kept staying because they were begged to.

I don't know if that was the case with Ryan, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Another example of that—for better or worse— is Bill Conlin. Philadelphia Daily News wouldn't let him go, despite cutting back in so many other places, until the sad and digusting revelations about him.

In this current environment papers value star columnists more than ever. They are destinations. A familiar name is a reason people will go to the newspaper or a newspaper website.

It's a little like why the NFL is such an insanely valuable broadcast property. In an age of a million entertainment choices, it's something people still come together for.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Nice gesture. I have always liked and respected Bob Ryan. His overall body of work is damn impressive.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

He got the same standing-O treatment from NBA media at Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals at TD Garden.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Goodbye column:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/08/11/globe-sports-columnist-bob-ryan-says-goodbye-after-years/qOtIaTIr1cXaorWWljrGMP/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Good for Bob...a long distinguished career. He deserved that standing O in the press box...a nice touch by his peers. May he enjoy retirement.

7. I agree, good for Bob. After 44 years he deserved the right to pick his time. Nice touch mentioning the people he's worked with over the years. Bob also paid it forward. He was an excellent influence and mentor to young writers, and not just to those who worked at the Globe. I'm glad he's sticking around. We need to swap a few more stories at the Final Four.

8. Michael Gee had a very nice appreciation of Bob Ryan that is worth a read by all.

http://jmgee.blogspot.com/2012/08/ryan.html

Let me say this about Bob Ryan - if he took the time to write something then I took the time to read it. He was THE best writer at the Globe and I think that was because he was also the most honest and most passionate. Jackie M is a worthy successor.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

C ya Bobby. Time to enjoy life.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if they're filling the spot? They're down to two columnists now (Shaughnessy, Gasper).

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Passionate is the perfect word to describe Ryan's writing.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I probably came across Bob Ryan ten times in my travels at game sites. Good guy and seemed to see the big picture.

Mere speculation but I was amazed on how he came back after his son's death a few years back.

Draft saved Draft deleted