1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan's done after London

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Feb 14, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not going to heap that much praise on the Interwebs, but I'll agree that bemoaning social media is a little disingenuous. Social media is largely sound-bite media, just in a written form, and sound bites on The Sports Reporters and Around the Horn have treated him well. Heck, they probably allowed him to retire that much faster. But I've got nothing but respect for his print career.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

You must have a different Internet than the one I've seen.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I respect your opinions, Versatile. Just curious who you think cracks the best-of list.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Very quickly, off the top of my head Harvey Araton, Thomas Boswell, Gary Shelton, Bernie Miklasz, Gwen Knapp, T.J. Simers, Steve Kelley, Jerome Solomon, Bob Ford, Sally Jenkins, Scott Ostler, Bruce Jenkins, Linda Robertson, etc.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Versatile: why presume "consistency is sapped by their other work"?

not saying consistency isn't a problem, but not necessarily due to other work.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You're right, but in some cases, that's what makes the most sense. When it came to Wilbon's last few years at the Post or Ryan's recent work at the Globe, though, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. In their primes, they were great columnists who fell off dramatically as they started to stretch themselves thin.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Simmons leaving Grantland/ESPN for the Globe at this point would be like Steve Jobs leaving for IBM in 2007.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

my guess is that age is the culprit. been there, done that. and celebrity. they become too self-centered.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree. Guys like Gary Shelton and Tom Boswell remain must-reads on a regular basis.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tyler Kepner -- ‏@TylerKepner

No cheering in the press box? We made an exception at Fenway tonight. Standing O for @GlobeBobRyan on last night at Fenway before retirement

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That was a good exception.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Solomon, really? I don't care for his work at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted