1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan's done after London

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Feb 14, 2012.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I will match that with The Day of New London around 1988. ;)

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He should tell Jason Kidd to smack his wife again.

OK, that wasn't fair. I'm saddened by this. I really enjoy Bob's work. He wasn't born in Boston but he gets the city, gets the dynamic, and his columns have a Boston voice, even moreso than Shaughnessy (who is from there). I imagine he'll still show up at a B.C. basketball game because beneath it all he's still a fan, too.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

good for Bob...may he enjoy his retirement years...although it's almost always a good gig if you can stay on in some self-managed very part-time way. Staying involved in retirement is way better than sitting in a lawn chair watching the grass grow.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'll take the Washington Post in the late-1980s, early-1990s. There should be a sports journalism video game with a "historic teams" mode.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . an action which will leave Sports Reporters a complete mockery.

Bill Jauss and Rick T. laugh.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Bit disingenuous for Ryan to bemoan the impact social media has had on the industry--I noticed a hint of disdain in his "an audience with a different taste" comments--when he's been a featured talking head on that dreck produced by ESPN for years. While ESPN has actively worked to lower the sophistication of the sporting world, the Internet Ryan mocks has tried to raise it.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think the answer to this question is no, but does the Globe try and replace him with Simmons?
    Simmons has always said that was his dream job. I don't know if the Globe could afford him, but it would certainly be a huge move.
    Now I don't think Simmons would be good at it, but I think he'd think about it.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Simmons' head would explode all over the newsroom the first time he was told he had 22 inches and not a word more.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Simmons would never consider this. Whether people like him or not he is a powerful force at ESPN and would have to take a hell of a pay cut to work for a paper. He has his hands in a lot of things at ESPN, from his website, to the 30 for 30 documentaries to his podcasts. No chance in hell he leaves that for a paper.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Simmons would have to be very career-foolish, and he's not, just the opposite, to leave his current gig. He is able to use his main strength, which is as a big idea guy, to an extent no employee of the Globe can ever do. Plus, he can be sure ESPN will be around in 2022, which is more than one can say for the Globe.
    The Globe won't replace Bob at all. They've got Chris Gasper as a columnist with a head shot and Tony Massarotti as a columnist without a head shot, and that's what they'll stick with. I think the top brass would just as soon dump all the sports columnists if they thought they could get away with it.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Rhody: Two different animals.

Draft saved Draft deleted