1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan's done after London

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm listening to Bob Ryan on the B.S. Report with Simmons. Around the 55-minute point, he reveals that he's going to retire, at least partly, after covering the London Olympics. He said he won't go away completely, but he'll most definitely scale down.

Among his reasons, he says, are that the business just isn't made for him anymore, with the proliferation of social media and the like.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He'll have more time to tend to his lawn.

3. doodah

doodah Guest

This is great news. A new job for a journalist at the Globe. Hopefully an entry-level position.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bob's retirement age. He has nothing left to accomplish, really, except to go to more sports events and write about them. He's in a Hall of Fame. Why not retire or semi-retire? As for the social media part, social media is uniquely suited to Bob's conversational style. Because he doesn't want to do it doesn't mean he couldn't.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

inb4 50+ replies

6. jr/shotglass

hehe. really.

Although, if you could sell steak knives, too ...

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doodah ..... YOU'RE HIRED!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing he'll write once a week and get more than six figures just to do that.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This just makes me pine for the Globe of the late 1970s when it was just the most amazing group of writers under one roof.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. It's probably close between that group and the guys who were at the Sun-Sentinel in the late 1970s, early 1980s.

11. jr/shotglass

I've always been partial to the gang at the Chambersburg (Pa.) Public Opinion in the late '70s. ;D

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But not until May, when school is out.

Draft saved Draft deleted