1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan: I don't think the "average" fan cares about advanced metrics in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, May 18, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Considering that baseball announcers talk nothing but pablum and spliffle 75 percent of the time, would it be such a big deal to incorporate the next several tiers of stats during a game, and talk about them during the dead time?

Maybe it's time for baseball announcing to evolve. Maybe it's time for the boys and girls in the production truck to build some cool graphics to give the announcers something new and fresh to talk about during games. A baseball fan who watches baseball on TV is always going to watch baseball on TV so why not feed him new and fresh statistical data to start a new era of conversations.

Sure as hell can't hurt.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this.

I would have a lot more respect for Grace had he, for example, started a come-from-behind rally in the bottom of the ninth inning of a World Series Game 7 against the greatest closer in the history of the game to end one of baseball's most hallowed dynasties.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the dumbest and most off-base criticism I read of sabermetrics from guys like Ryan is that sabermetrics tell you some variation of "what a guy is hitting against left-handed veterans in the rain on Saturday afternoon games where the temperature is above 80 degrees."

In fact, sabermetrics is, in part, a reaction AGAINST such meaningless pablum.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I see a problem with Xan's proposal. The introduction of new subject matter involving mathematics would give announcers an infinite amount of opportunities to say MORE wrong things during a broadcast. It's probably better if they stick to what kind of pitch that was, discussions of replays and giving us the home towns of relief pitchers.

5. Songbird

Maybe you hire a SABR seamhead to join TV/radio crews then.

Would it be so awful?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Broadcasting isn't easy. Neither is explaining statistical concepts in the very limited time (it only seems long) broadcasters have between periods of action in a ballgame. Introducing a third man in the booth for numbers could be useful, but it'd be extraordinarily hard to execute successfully. The use of stat-based graphics on TV broadcasts is doable, but I just don't know what you could do for radio.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It would guarantee I'd never again watch a game on teevee.

You can decide whether that's "awful" or not.

8. Songbird

I'm not saying make that person the PBP guy or even the No. 2. Just a third person to offer numbers behind the numbers every so often.

Unless you like John Sterling masturbating into the mic 3 and a half hours a day.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't know. No offense, but to me that idea has "glowing puck" written all over it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Brought to you by the good people of Kleenex

11. Songbird

You just can't predict SJ posters, Suzy.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

John you really creamed that one

Draft saved Draft deleted