1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan: I don't think the "average" fan cares about advanced metrics in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, May 18, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So you are going to criticize a column you didn't read? At that point, what little reason there was to take your point of view seriously on this matter goes right out the window.

Maybe you can admit your point about the Phillies was silly and ill-constructed and build some credibility.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That wasn't my overarching point, doofus.
    Our reading comprehension needs work - a lot of it.
    Next time maybe sound-out the words in your head and ask a grown-up if you don't understand what something means.

3. outofplace

It was a point you made, a foolish, ill-constructed one that you refuse to back down from. You can try to cover it up with name calling and attempts to change the subject, but it is still there for all to see. You claimed that the Phillies' run of seasons when they were among the best teams in baseball were meaningless. Maybe that would make some sense if that run didn't include a World Series victory, but they did win one.

You don't get to decide where discussions go on this site. The sooner you grasp that reality, the better things will be for all of us.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

You've lost the plot, as usual.
    This is the kind of shit that kills discussions around here.
    You have nothing to add, nothing original to say, so you lock in on a single stray remark.
    Sorry dick, but for the hype and "Five Aces" BS, a few crowns in a bad division (aided by two epic Met collapses) don't impress me much. I have a more exacting view of greatness.
    So they won a World Series. The Marlins have won two in the last 17 years.
    Big fucking deal.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So nothing counts but a World Series title, is that correct?

Sounds like college football, where a 10-3 season is a failure anymore.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

If you're bellying up to the point where you're trading your best prospects for a Roy Oswalt you don't even really need, or for a Hunter Pence you don't even re-sign, yes. It is a fucking failure.

7. Riptide

When metrics are everything, there is no joy in life.

Nothing matters but numbers, and humanity is the enemy.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Nah, we'd rather read columnists natter about chemistry and leadership and guys who just win.
    Anything so they don't have to do any real extrapolation.

9. Riptide

Mark Grace had nice metrics.

Kirk Gibson came away a winner.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

I will say this and then slowly exit the discussion, such as it is.
    When I was a young man I ran with a pack, as young single men tend to do.
    One of my bros was not a good-looking dude at all- but I'll be damned if that guy wasn't working every piece of ass in the bar, projecting his self-confidence, getting the odds in his favor and often bedding the hottie.
    Intangibles do bear merit- we just ought to be able to identify the right ones.

11. outofplace

As I said, their run of success does not fit into your greater argument, so you are desperate to discount it. You can't even come close to making that argument, so you ramble and take potshots at the posters poking giant holes in your attempt at a plot.

Trolls like you are what kills discussions around here. Regarding your last post, we all know how worthless it is when you say you are leaving. Words are wind, especially when they are spoken by fart boy.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

I've forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know, putz.
    You have nothing to offer. You still haven't produced one original counter argument.
    It's because you simply aren't very perceptive. Not your fault, just the way things are.

Draft saved Draft deleted