1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan: I don't think the "average" fan cares about advanced metrics in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, May 18, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Harsh? They failed.
    It didn't happen for them!
    Fuck man, we're quibbling here.
    Let's move beyond a throwaway phrase.
    No offense, but I never expected to be able to reason with Phillies fans.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course they don't, but those successes don't fit into the storyline, so some folks are desperate to invalidate them somehow.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

I don't have time to babysit you tonight. Go pick a fight with someone else, little man.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

I like Gee's posts, but I don't care for being lectured to, and especially not when it's prefaced by "I'm a Phillies fan." guys - nobody gives a shit who your team is. We are supposed to be approaching things objectively.

6. outofplace

The latest in a long string of lies. You've been begging me for a fight all day, fart boy.

Don't want people pointing out your bullshit? Stop posting it. The idea that the Phillies run of success was meaningless is crap you can't even come close to supporting. Simply stating it over and over again doesn't cut it. Don't like that? Stop whining about the posters who argue with your posts and do better.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You know, he's probably right. Most fans probably don't care about advanced metrics.

But that doesn't make them any less valid.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

And the little creep freak starts another fight, at the ready.

9. outofplace

Not a nice thing to say about Bubbler. Apologize!

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Ryan has lauded the research of Bill James. He's not a total Murray Chass.

11. outofplace

It doesn't. I'm not sure if it matters whether the average fan is interested or not. Nothing wrong with providing depth that only the hardcore fans will care about.

That said, Ryan does raise a good point when he questions the use of a judgement as part of a statistic. And when I say good point, I freely admit that I like it because I agree with it.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Which statistic? I'm not contributing to its traffic.
    Science won this argument. The dinosaurs need to go get a drink at the lake.
    The anti-sabermetricians are on the wrong side of history, as our lousy president said.

Draft saved Draft deleted