1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ryan: I don't think the "average" fan cares about advanced metrics in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, May 18, 2014.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

A column that was tailor made for a classic SJ slugfest.

Release the arguments!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/17/baseball-fans-care-about-new-breed-stats/5C3wVETWOubtGjE78Og2RP/story.html

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's Ryan's Wins Over Replacement Pontificator?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fossils like Ryan are peeved they have to work harder to make a point, instead of falling back on CHEMISTRY and INTANGIBLES and LEADERSHIP.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is this self-plagiarism from 2007?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WAR isn't a stat, it's an opinion reduced to a number, like "she's a 6".

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be commenting or covering baseball if you don't understand them and are able to convey how clubs use them to evaluate players.
    I don't think Joe Blow has a OPS of "X" is a story. But being able to show how and why teams care is essential. And just saying "people don't care" is like writing about a new city budget and just copying the press release, mentioning the cuts or increases, but not putting your eyeballs to the numbers and seeing the year-to-year adjustments.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can't ignore data in baseball anymore unless you're willing to say the third baseman caught a line drive while stationed in right field because the manager played a hunch.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just more grouchy-old-mannism.

Change comes slowly to baseball. Fifteen years ago there were fans who loudly scoffed at the very idea of keeping pitch counts.

Now, any manager who keeps a starter who isn't working on a shutout in to throw 120+ pitches gets uniformly barbecued on all the talk shows.

I think WHIP is pretty universally understood by almost everybody. It ain't that hard to figure out. OPS isn't quite as simple, but it's close.

I remember in the Seventies hearing broadcasters huff and puff about guys who drew a lot of walks, claiming they bogged down the offense. That shit is pretty much gone.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Advanced metrics give people something else to look at during excruciatingly long baseball games, which is to say, all baseball games. So that's nice.

I'm a very "average" fan, meaning I'll go to one or two games in person every year, check what my team did every day and have little idea about what most other teams are doing until September. And, yep, I don't care about advanced metrics. But as fodder for a column ... Ryan can do better.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Phillies are a team that has almost openly scoffed at metrics and analytics.
    Look at the shape of that organization. Enough said.
    I would think veteran newspapermen would be less resistant to change, given the seismic shift we've witnessed in the industry.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kind of funny given that The Red Sox are one of teams that have
    benefited the most from using advanced stats.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All true. But is being barbecued on all the talk shows a legitimate reason to do anything?

Winning percentage the past 12 seasons:

.450 (current)

Now, assuming that "metrics and analytics" became a part of the game long before 2013, how have the Phillies done vis a vis the rest of baseball over this 12-year span?

Draft saved Draft deleted