1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ojeda article in the Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 27, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's the number 12 most emailed article in the Times in the last 24 hours:

http://www.nytimes.com/most-popular-emailed

Probably a lot of people emailing their friends about how stupid the article is.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It resonates largely because it's the same story that a lot of washed-up never-weres could tell. And it's getting more relevant with each passing year.

It also strikes a chord because it's easy to forget just how much pain these guys are in sometimes. Ojeda pitched the whole year, and was pretty damn good, with this stabbing pain. That's interesting.

This weekend is my son's first travel ball tournament. 9-year-olds. Yesterday the #3 pitcher had to leave the mound because of shoulder pain, after taking the previous two weeks off while getting physical therapy. The #1 pitcher is battling arm pain but pitching through it. The #2 guy is holding up well this year, but last year when he was 8 he had to stop pitching before the season ended.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hope that last part is in jest, maybe missing blue font? A nine-year-old "pitching through" arm pain? If it isn't a joke, someone ought to be whipped

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely. You could make the case that any parent who lets a 9-year-old "pitch through the pain" is guilty of neglect, if not straight-up child abuse.

5. LongTimeListener

It is a sick joke being played on American society, but it is all true nonetheless. Last year the #1 pick of our league draft had to miss the season with what is commonly known now as "Little League elbow." He was 10.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

When, for example, living near Boston I see a slew of comments on articles about how Jacoby Ellsworth, J.D. Drew and Clay Buchholz are essentially pussies for not playing, it's not hard to imagine what the people behind those comments are doing to their kids.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The is the ache of tired muscles and then there is the pain of injury. Most athletes, regardless of age, recognize the difference; some parents and coaches don't.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Agreed, Doc. But if we're talking about a 9-year-old, he should have a professional check whether it's fatigue or injury, right?

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And even if it's just the fatigue of tired muscles and not the pain of injury, I'd think a 9-year-old needs to sit out and not "pitch through it".

I'm not a doctor and certainly not a pro athlete, but I'm a parent. And that just sounds like it makes sense to me.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Safe to say Ellsworth and Buchholz are not.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Don't need to have an MD to appreciate common sense

12. LongTimeListener

As an update to my prior post, I add that the 9-year-old who came out of the game because of shoulder pain Saturday returned today to pitch three innings. By his third inning he was able to throw strikes on at least a third of the pitches.

Draft saved Draft deleted