1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Ojeda article in the Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 27, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bob Ojeda authors an article on "The Glory and the Pain of Pitching" in the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/sports/baseball/the-former-met-bob-ojeda-relives-both-glory-and-pain.html?_r=1&ref=sports&pagewanted=all

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A ballet dancer's feet hurt.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then what was he doing with the hedgeclippers?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Smasher: if a ballet dancer of some renown detailed how he or she used drugs and denial to soldier on, and how their father or mother pushed them toward a course of fame, I'd be all for reading it

5. Smasher_Sloan

Good. You let me know how it comes out -- especially if the ballet dancer winds up making $9 million.

A lot of people endure hardship in pursuit of a career, and don't do nearly as well in terms of income and perks as some athletes do.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't understand the criticism. Bob Ojeda had an interesting story to tell. He told it. It didn't come off at all as looking for sympathy.

My only question is did he actually write it or is it ghostwritten. I assume the latter.

7. Smasher_Sloan

I'm not criticizing Ojeda. I'm just saying that a lot of people make huge sacrifices to pursue a career and don't come close to the tangible rewards that some athletes -- like Ojeda -- get.

For that matter, I'm sure there are baseball players who endured everything Ojeda did (plus more) and never reached the major leagues. For them, there's no big money, no great pension plan, no quickie $5,000 card show appearances, no easy path to TV jobs, no free-car-for-a-year-if-we-can-use-your-picture-in-ads deal.

8. YankeeFan

So, what do you have in your paper today that's better than this?

Exactly. It's an interesting story, and is well written.

I'd love to know how it came about, and how much help he had writing it.

9. YankeeFan

Sounds like you have some terrific story ideas. Go out and report them. Publish them.

Let us know how it turns out. I'd love to read one of these stories. Sounds like you're aware of a bunch of them.

If you're lucky, maybe it will get picked up and run by the Times.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Right now my focus is entirely on getting the five-year waiting period waived so you can deservedly gain immediate induction to the Moron Hall of Fame.

Yes, on Memorial Day weekend my heart aches for ballplayers who had some bumps on the path to being a millionaire.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't much matter if it's a sympathetic tale. It's insight into a major league's ballplayer's path. I doubt it was designed to make you cry or anything.

12. YankeeFan

Who asked you for heart ache?

It's a fucking story. It's interesting, in that it's a first person account by a former major leaguer who was on a World Series championship team, in the city where the paper is published.

The editors at the New York Times thought it was worthy of running on the front page of their Sunday sports section, but I guess you would have rejected it.

So, come on, tell us what your paper ran today that was better.

Draft saved Draft deleted