1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Melvin, please pick up the white courtesy phone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, May 7, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I remember when Schu was a fairly well thought of prospect.

That makes me a little sad.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think he played in China for a season, and they changed his name to Rick Shaw.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Apparently the wise, perceptive advice from bench coach Kirk Gibson couldn't get the job done. ::) ::) ::)

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

After how he bombed as Seattle's manager -- stiff, slow to react, etc. -- I was surprised how well the Arizona thing worked out for him (at first). I imagine the failure to hold on in last season's NL West had something to do with it, especially given that the Dodgers only seem to be getting better.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Too bad. Worked with Bob in Seattle, and he was in over his head, but as fine a guy as I ever met in the game.

My favorite story about him: During the winter meetings shortly after he was hired, we were at a sort of getting-to-know-you dinner. Extremely fancy -- each place was being poured both white and red wines, top shelf treatment. I was sitting a couple places from Bob when he called the waiter over and heard him ask, "Could I get a glass of milk?" It was then I knew we were in for a different kind of manager.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm surprised he lasted so long. Wasn't he inherited by Josh Byrnes?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thank you, Ferris!

Draft saved Draft deleted