1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Lobel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I know he's not a print guy, but thought I'd pass this on. According to the Boston Globe, sports anchor Bob Lobel is among three people leaving WBZ-TV in Boston. I lived in the area for quite a while and always looked forward to his broadcasts. He was witty and unafraid to ask the tough questions. Bill Buckner once walked off on him during a live broadcast (I believe it was during the 86 playoffs against the Angels) when he asked him when the big guys were going to start hitting. The next night, Buckner was back on joking about the incident. Anyway, I believe there will be a number of New Englanders who will find this news sad.

2. Witty?
    Unafraid?
    Bob Lobel?
    Eh?

3. Writer33

Writer33 Member

You don't care for Lobel. Your business. We'll disagree.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My only real complaint about him was how he couldn't even try to hide his disgust when the Ravens won the 2001 Super Bowl.

5. I saw this and read Bob Loblaw.

Carry on.

6. I was always a Roger Twibell guy. I never though Lobell was as good as Twibell. I stand by that assessment.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

Actually, over thirty people just got the ax at WBZ. Lobel's the last one I'd worry about.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Lobel is among the biggest homers in sports broadcasting. I'm not sure I could have said it any better than Fen. The guy is a joke and so is his partner on "Sports Final" who wishes he was Lobel (can't remember his name - I stopped watching the show awhile ago).

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lobel was cheering like crazy when Johnny Damon hit the grand slam to finish off the Yankees in Game Seven of the 2004 ALCS.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

From what I've been told, he wasn't the only other major member of the Boston media celebrating in the press box that year.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

He has a good law blog.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think most of the country cheered when Damon finished off the Yankees. I'm just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted