1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight slaps player ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. I haven't had a chance to see the tape yet. However, as objectionable as some of Knight's behavior is, he does have some redeeeming qualities. In a profession where everybody is completely and utterly full of shit, he is a straight shooter. And nowadays, in a college basketball coaching world dominated by quasi-corporate types and self-promoters, he is a dying breed. Maybe it's not completely relevant, but to me, it's refreshing that he isn't cheating and that his players appear to be legitimately earning their degrees. Considering how depraved the college basketball world is, there's something to be said for that. That may not justify his behavior, but I'll say this- I was glad to see that his son will inherit his program. Not that he'll necessarily win, but at least the program will be run with integrity, by someone with some type of values. Call me old-fashioned, but for all his shortcomings, I'd rather deal with Knight than some of these other high-profile coaches who are cultivating their image on one hand and paying street agents to deliver players on the other. At least he is a principled man to some extent. That doesn't always justify his behavior, and is kind of tangential, but a thought.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Except, in this case, Bobby Knight didn't beat a kid.

You might not like what he did, but don't call it a beating.

3. XXXX

XXXX Member

Bob Knight did nothing wrong in this incident. he slapped the kids chin up and said "look at me". whats the big deal? how many of his players in 30 plus years coaching have commited crimes and got in trouble with the law after the left army, indiana, and texas tech?
    People are harder on bob knight then the coach at baylor that tried to conceal a murder at his school, or that guy anastacie (i think his name is) who was partying with his UNDERAGE players. give me a break, bob knight is not that bad

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not that bad. Just an asshole.

Count me among the throngs that want to see him get his ass decked by a player, another coach, an AD, the hot dog vendor -- ANYONE -- on camera.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

So summing up:
    Knight is a bully who misconstrues anger for discipline.
    Knight really didn't do much here, no matter what he said to the kid.
    Knight wins a lot of basketball games.
    Knight needs to be stuffed in a trash can by one of his players.

6. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

First of all, I consider it embarrassing to the industry that people keep bringing up that "if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it" quote. It is the most out-of-context, but repeatedly-referred-to statement that might still be used in our business. It was warped by Connie Chung, who did the interview in question. Knight was talking about being bothered by bad calls and referees.

There are plenty of things he should be attacked for. This is not one of them.

Today's statement from Gerald Myers is a joke. So is the bit from the kid. Myers is a total Knight apologist who would probably say Knight was sleepwalking if he ever found him throwing the bone to Mrs. Myers. You can't take anything from the athletic director seriously. As for the kid, he's undoubtedly aware of the hell Neil Reed went through when the choking tape came out and Reed -- who Knight once loved -- decided to give CNNSI an interview about it.

This is a no-win situation for the player.

In isolation, I personally don't feel what Knight did last night was that bad. But he has a history of questionable physical behavior. It's like a prisoner on parole. You have to be cleaner than anyone else. You can't give anyone the impression that you're slipping. Plus, let's face it, people react much differently now to discipline. When I was younger, I got the strap. A parent does that now, and here comes Children's Aid.

But the reason it's such a big story today is because Knight has a history. If he could control himself, he wouldn't have this problem. He shouldn't get fired for this. I don't even think he should be penalized for this. But I think he should be made uncomfortable for doing it. Myers won't do anything, so I don't mind the media storm.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You apparently haven't seen the video. Not saying it was the hardest slap in the world, but he slapped the player's chin up. He didn't "lift" it, despite the TexTech spin.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Shithead, fuckface Bobby Knight.
    He pisses me off just about every time I see him.
    Press conferences, NCAA Tourneys, regular seasons ...
    Bob Knight's a big bully.
    I hate dealing with his kind in our profession.
    Go to hell, Bobby. I don't care whether your teams win or lose.
    I don't want to deal with you, period.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

And rightfully so. No child deserves to be hit. Period.

10. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

You must be a better father then, jerk off. Your statement is very telling of the type of elitist attitude you must carry every day. Is there only one way to be a good father? Love comes in many forms. I am not saying whacking your kid, but if you want a confident child, you make sure he holds his head high.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really don't want to put my hands on my kids, but sometimes I do because either I lose it at the way they are acting or they refuse to do what I tell them.

Does that make me great or awful?

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes"

Draft saved Draft deleted