1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight slaps player ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I've seen major-college coaches do a lot worse. But it's Bob Knight and with his history he should know what the fallout's going to be and avoid putting himself in those situations. But obviously he doesn't care.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie, I'm biting my tongue but you're absolutely wrong on this one. This has nothing--absolutely nothing--to do with discipline.

Bobby Knight is the Donald Rumsfeld of coaches--except Knight has a better record.

3. Please don't mistake misplaced testosterone for discipline. Always a bad idea. And Knight has an affirmative responsibility not to act like a public sociopath, a responsibility he has repeatedly failed to live up to. Who the hell is he to represent discipline when he's hitting players, belting civilians, and throwing vases over the heads of secretaries? He's a hypocrite as well.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Junkie, pass.

The man needs help. And maybe part of his rehabilitation/punishment ought to be coaching soccer.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Knight's a bully. He has plenty of power as a coach to make players mind him without resorting to timeouts and the like.

I have put my hands on my kid to make him look at me but I wouldn't do it to someone else's kid.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Tech's statement:

MEDIA ADVISORY
    November 14, 2006

Statement from Texas Tech Director of Athletics Gerald Myers on issue involving Head Men’s Basketball Coach Bob Knight and student-athlete Michael Prince during Monday night’s game against Gardner-Webb:

“I have discussed this with Michael Prince, his parents and Coach Knight. Coach Knight did not slap Michael.

“Here is what happened: Michael came off the court with his head down and Coach Knight quickly lifted Michael’s chin up and said, ‘Hold your head up and don’t worry about your mistakes. Just play the game.’

“In my opinion, Coach Knight did not do anything wrong.”

Texas Tech will not further comment on the matter.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That press release is up-fucking-roarious.

I don't have a problem with the incident, but this response is rich.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, they don't.

Not every coach in America is a bullying SOB who gets away with intimidation, abuse and holds up the winning record as a "See, everything's OK" solution.

9. And thank you for that example of genuine frontier bureaucratic bullshit.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

The Texas Tech people are too initimidated by Knight to ever do anything about him. They did nothing when he got into it with the university chancellor at that salad bar a few years ago.

Yes, it's a blip on the resume, but you can't ignore the rest of the resume. For someone without Knight's past, you can say it's no big deal. But as another addition to a long pattern of behavior, it is a big deal. Knight is a bully and a bad guy who should never have been hired at Texas Tech in the first place.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

To teach respect, you have to show respect. Knight doesn't and never will. Kids learn far more from what you do than from what you say.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

IN MY OPINION
    Bad raps are tough to shake, no matter how foolish they areBY DAN LE BATARD
    dlebatard@MiamiHerald.com
    Two weeks ago, undefeated Peyton Manning went into the toughest place to win in the NFL, against the league's best defense, and pulled out the game late against Denver. Last week, he went into New England's home and shredded Bill Belichick's defense while outplaying Tom Brady. Manning somehow did this with a team that can't run the ball or stop the run. But he's allegedly a choker.

It's literally a no-win proposition once you get the kind of rep that makes Manning football's Alex Rodriguez, just like it's a no-lose proposition if you get the kind of rep that makes Brady football's Derek Jeter. Brady threw four interceptions last week, including one against a bad defense on what could have and should have been the game-tying drive. But that will be erased from our minds in much the same way it would have been embedded there if Manning had been the one doing the botching.

Good or bad, once you are stamped, we'll pick and choose only the subsequent facts and evidence that reaffirm the stamping and ignore those that might dispute said stamping.

How many game-winning shots in a row would Dwyane Wade have to miss before we questioned his assassin streak? Heck, we're even willing to overlook that Wade, forever clutch now, missed the two free throws that would have iced the Finals because Miami got a bounce on a wide-open Jason Terry shot at the end, just like we overlook the bounce Manning didn't get when Mike Vanderjagt missed a field-goal attempt that would have helped the Colts tie champion Pittsburgh in last year's playoffs.

But here's where a stigma gets bothersome if you are a fan of Bobby Knight: No amount of winning can cure the negative reputation that already has been formed, obviously. Knight's rep has been earned, certainly, but it echoes in a way that makes you wonder how it ever will be changed, echoes so poisonous that national pontificators feel comfortable sharpening their knives and carving up the program even moments after a wailing mother in her son's UM jersey grieves the loss of her just-slain child.

Bobby Knight turned the Texas Tech program into a winner, period. Bobby Knight went nearly four years without slapping anyone -- a staggering stat you will find nowhere in the top 25 -- but four years isn't enough to erase damage already done, evidently. One punch, one crime, one awful incident reaffirms preconceptions, strengthens them.

How do you push against that? If four years can be erased in a moment?

Peyton Manning can change his reputation by winning.

But what does Bobby Knight have to do?

Draft saved Draft deleted