1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight appears to be slipping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 6, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can we go back to knight slipping into permanent oblivion?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well, this happened.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/02/22/connecticut.basketball.penalty/index.html

As someone who has lived in CT for most of his life, I can assure you that Storrs is not a selling point. It's in the middle of farm country. It's gotten better, mostly bc the school has become better bc it attracts better students than it did when I was graduating from high school -- and that's bc of the success of the men's and women's basketball programs.

But still, it's not a place I'd have ever wanted to go to college. I like cities.

wicked likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I always thought he got players because they liked how he chewed gum on the sideline with his mouth wide open like some kinda' Goddamned cow.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Storrs has got to be the hardest place to get to that is still somehow considered to be within the Acela Corridor. Inconvenient from Boston, Providence and even Hartford.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Still just 15 minutes from Tahoe, though.

6. CD Boogie

Yup, 35 minutes east of Hartford, 20 minutes from I-84. Just brutally remote for the main hub of a state school. But hey, it's geographically central or some such shit...

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's doubtless some tale of 19th century political skulduggery that explains where UConn was located instead of somewhere along the Connecticut River.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

Late in 1880, brothers Charles and Augustus Storrs donated land and money to start an agricultural school in Connecticut. More than 130 years later, the University of Connecticut has become one of the top 20 public universities in the nation.

History | University of Connecticut

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Lots of those land grant schools aren’t conveniently located.

Cornell. Penn State. UMass Amherst. The University of New Hampshire. Purdue. Virginia Tech. Etc.

wicked likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pullman might be the leader in the clubhouse.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Purdue is actually right off of I65, halfway between Indianapolis and Chicago.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

And Storrs is midway between New York and Boston. When you think public research institutions, you don’t think of West Lafayette, Ind.

Draft saved Draft deleted