1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight appears to be slipping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 6, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For the biggest games, 15,000 or more is accurate. Like all the big schools, there's just so much filler early in the season and 15,000 then is a stretch. Especially with the balcony, which is no-man's land for virtually every game.

IU is said to have the biggest student section in basketball, about 7,800, and to their credit the students rarely fail to show up.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I stopped reading that Brooks piece when the writer used the phrase, "returning back to..."

Dog8Cats likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The article is correct, Brooks was not good enough defensively to play in Knight's system. On the Friars Final Four Team Donovan was the star, averaging over 20 points a game and Brooks averaged 14. Pitino was an early adapter of the three point shot at Providence and Brooks fit into that system.
    It's not like the students have a decent football team to support. But if they average 15,000 total and 7,800 are students then that means they are only selling about 7,000 seats a game to the general public.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I remember them well. Beat my favorite team, Georgetown, in the Elite 8, led by Reggie (Williams) and the Miracles.

That's a guy I thought was gonna have a good NBA career (Williams), but didn't. I blame the Paper Clips.

EDIT: Coincidentally, Brooks had 0 points in that game in 27 minutes. Only took 2 shots. Odd.
    '
    Providence vs. Georgetown Box Score, March 21, 1987 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Donovan was 0 for 1 from 3, the team 5 for 9. Gtown, OTOH, was a ghastly 4 of 21.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  6. playthrough

And "general public" is largely the well-heeled alums, plus a fair number of tickets for faculty/staff, so I don't think too many tickets (in the main level) ever make it to the box office.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I graduated in 1984 but I don't remember the student seating being that large. I know faculty and staff were given a limited number of games. The availability of student seating in college sports is inversely correlated to the demand for tickets. Interest must have really tumbled if IU is setting aside that big a student section. I guess all the years of mediocrity and the increased interest in the NBA have taken a toll.

8. playthrough

I don't think you're wrong. Shortly after I began my job I put in for the faculty/staff ticket waitlist, figuring I'd have to wait a decade until some old professors died or something. Nope, it took one year.

Now, in order to get better seats, there's a priority points system like at most schools where being a member of the booster club and writing big checks is key. Though at IU they also look very kindly on you buying football season tickets. "Please, please buy football tickets!"

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Mick Cronin that much better than Steve Alford? I mean it’s an OK move given how long it dragged out, but still.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He's a lot better than I thought he'd be at Cincinnati.
    He effectively got Kevin Ollie whacked at UConn, which essentially said, "We know we can't be a national power anymore, but why can't we be Cincinnati and win this conference?"

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How did UConn become a national power? Were they particularly dirty or was Calhoun that good?

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

yes

Draft saved Draft deleted