1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Johnson slam dunks Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/guilt-by-association.html

Description of Guilt By Association

Guilt by Association is a fallacy in which a person rejects a claim simply because it is pointed out that people she dislikes accept the claim. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. It is pointed out that people person A does not like accept claim P.
    2. Therefore P is false

It is clear that sort of "reasoning" is fallacious. For example the following is obviously a case of poor "reasoning": "You think that 1+1=2. But, Adolf Hitler, Charles Manson, Joseph Stalin, and Ted Bundy all believed that 1+1=2. So, you shouldn't believe it."

The fallacy draws its power from the fact that people do not like to be associated with people they dislike. Hence, if it is shown that a person shares a belief with people he dislikes he might be influenced into rejecting that belief. In such cases the person will be rejecting the claim based on how he thinks or feels about the people who hold it and because he does not want to be associated with such people.

Of course, the fact that someone does not want to be associated with people she dislikes does not justify the rejection of any claim. For example, most wicked and terrible people accept that the earth revolves around the sun and that lead is heavier than helium. No sane person would reject these claims simply because this would put them in the company of people they dislike (or even hate).

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Simple FYI as well... you took my quote out of context. It doesn't surprise me, but since this board actually tries to discuss things legitimately, I need to point this out.

Someone that believes evolution is false doesn't have the intelligence or reasoning to run for president of the United States.

I'm sorry that you can't figure this out. But I'm not surprised.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ahem. I just wanted to make sure that this didn't fly under the radar.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, cross him off, then!

5. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

What, some of these guys are furniture movers?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I see, that's brilliant --so what you are saying is a majority of Americans have no intelligence or reasoning because a majority of Americans flat out don't believe in evolution.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/22/opinion/polls/main965223.shtml

You are brilliant.....

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They are not intelligent. FACT.

This doesn't mean that they cannot still perform daily tasks. They can work hard. They can provide for the well being of the country, their children and their neighbors. They just shouldn't be president. That is all I'm going for.

I'm sorry that there is a second board member that so obviously has trouble with reading comprehension. Though, the person hardly surprises me.

Side note: Slavery was something the majority of the country believed in at one time as well. That doesn't mean it was good.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The majority of Americans once believed Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why President? Why not a doctor, or lawyer, or Supreme Court justice? Why just a President?

Narrow. Minded. Moron.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is what hilarious -- Bob Johnson is a multi-millionaire with hundreds of millions in big businesses and other ventures and has far more in common with rich white people than the black people at the core of the Democratic party that he claims to be speaking for -- he is in no way representative of black Americans or the issues which affect them.

He is a member of the high-class society of rich and powerful, which is why it is not a surprise that he is a Hillary supporter, since the rich and powerful is her core constituency.....

I also find it amazing that the race hustlers among us -- the Sharptons, the Rangolds, the Jesse Jacksons - have been surprisingly silent and/or supportive of Hillary in this fight.

I mean, imagine if, oh I don't know, George W. or a Newt or a Trent Lott said something like "Martin Luther King's impact on civil rights was less than Lyndon B. Johnson and the governments".

My God, we'd hear charges of racism, calls for impeachments, calls for investigations....it would be ridiculous. But since it is Hillary - a leading Democrat who they know can help them promote themselves and their own profile -- their song is amazingly different.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No, you're not a Moron. Check that.

You're prejudiced in the way you render judgments. Which makes you a - whoa, get this - a bigot.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Most definitely a bigot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.