1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Johnson slam dunks Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

BET Founder Criticizes Obama
    By PHILIP ELLIOTT,AP
    Posted: 2008-01-13 23:36:11
    COLUMBIA, S.C. (Jan. 13) - One of Hillary Rodham Clinton's most prominent black supporters said Sunday he was insulted by the characterization by rival Barack Obama's presidential campaign of her remarks about the civil rights movement.

Bob Johnson, the nation's first black billionaire and founder of the BET cable television network, said Obama's campaign had acted dishonestly and had distorted Clinton's remarks about Martin Luther King Jr.

Johnson also seemed to hint at Obama's acknowledged youthful drug use, an issue that led another Clinton campaign official to resign. Johnson later denied that was the case.

Clinton was quoted just before the New Hampshire primary as saying King's dream of racial equality was realized only when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Some black leaders have criticized that remark as suggesting Johnson deserved more credit than the slain civil rights leader for the passage and enactment of major civil rights legislation.

While introducing Clinton at Columbia College on Sunday, Johnson criticized Obama's camp.

"That kind of campaign behavior would not be reasonable with me for a guy who says 'I want to be a reasonable, likable, Sidney Poitier,"' said Johnson, owner of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats. He commented after Clinton said in a televised interview Sunday that she hoped the campaign would not be about race.

Johnson also said Obama's own record should give voters pause.

"To me, as an African American, I am frankly insulted the Obama campaign would imply that we are so stupid that we would think Hillary and Bill Clinton, who have been deeply and emotionally involved in black issues - when Barack Obama was doing something in the neighborhood; I won't say what he was doing, but he said it in his book - when they have been involved," Johnson said.

Obama wrote about his teenage drug use - marijuana, alcohol and sometimes cocaine - in his memoir, "Dreams from My Father."

Johnson later said his comments referred to Obama's work as a community organizer in Chicago "and nothing else. Any other suggestion is simply irresponsible and incorrect," he said in a statement released by Clinton's campaign.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Ooooh, this should be good.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bashes Obama, then clarifies it later through Clinton's campaign? Punt.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

How is this a slam dunk?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Defending the Clintons while hinting strongly at his drug use?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Doesn't Johnson have another episode of the Boondocks to suppress? The January 7th edition was pulled. Funnily enough, it appeared to rip into BET mercilessly, as the comic strip had done in the past.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/techspace/2008/01/video-by-any-me.html

Wonder why it didn't air?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Clintons have no shame.

None.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're just coming to this realization?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He left BET in January of 2006. Viacom owns BET.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He sold out for 3 billion, his ex wife got somewhere close to half.
    No single person in history made more money exploiting T & A than Bob Johnson. Hefner, Guccione and Larry Flynt combined don't come close to what he built by originating the only TV channel aimed directly at African Americans. And he did it by televising booty rattling videos 24-7.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Crime pays.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

mos def, mos def.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.