1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Greene (former Chicago columnist) update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ten years later:

2. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Has anyone's opinion of Greene or his banishment changed or softened in the decade since?
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never had much of an opinion one way or the other, but he certainly seems humbled by the last 10 years. I will say this: Good on him for keeping on.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Greene lost me when he went wacko over the Baby Richard thing: bitching non-stop in 100 columns (that was the count of a critic writing for Salon) that a man who found out he was a father, and was never told by the mother that she was pregnant, had no parental rights.

Plus, ever notice in some of his best columns that the quotes were really, really good ... sometimes too good because they were too perfect for the situation?
  5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I felt bad for the guy since his wife died shortly after all the crap came to light.
    But otherwise, no, not really. There was a line in "The Simpsons" where Ned Flanders talked about the America that only exists in the memories of white middle-aged Republican males. I only remember him writing for the Tribune, but that seemed to be his stock in trade.
  6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

That makes me feel bad for the wife, considering her hubby's sleaziness. Same as with Elizabeth Edwards.
Draft saved Draft deleted