1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Geldof: Feed the world, just shove my song...what other songs shall we shove

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

THAT'S NOT PANTERA!!!! (you asshole)

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Holy shit. You will LOVE this, especially the comment at the 52-second mark.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Well, aren't you Mary Poppins!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison has to be in this discussion.

Yet more proof that Lennon and McCartney were the brains behind that operation.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

One day, at the end of another boring 9th grade business class, my teacher ended the lecture a few minutes early and we were just shooting the breeze. This song came up--I think it was no. 1 at the time--and a kid behind me goes "Oh God, I hate that song. Really, really hate that song."

Someone asks why and he says he was holding his baby nephew in his lap when the song came on. He says "I said 'I hate this song so much it makes me sick'"--at which point his nephew threw up all over him.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hate that song by George Harrison too, but he also did "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" when he was with The Beatles. That gives him a pass in my opinion.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Well why don't you get him heroin or something?"

"I don't want to get him something I got him last year."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, George Harrison had perhaps the best ex-Beatles solo effort with the All Things Must Pass album (except for plagiarizing Phil Spector in My Sweet Lord). And Blow Away was a darn good song. That said, Got My Mind Set on You is not even Harrison's worst effort, not as long as Crackerbox Palace walks the earth.

And McCartney was my fave Beatle, but Wonderful Christmas Time is unlistenable. I choose to believe Linda really wrote it.

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

To be fair, George's version is a cover. Can't remember who originally did it, but it's only fair to blame him for the performance, not the songwriting.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Wonderful Christmastime" had to be the result of a collaboration between a highly-baked Paul and Linda (the song was released about 2 months before Paul's famous reefer bust in Japan).

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Well, and the decision to actually cover it in the first place.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Bob Geldof: Feed the world, just shove my song...what other songs shall we s

Bob Geldof can suck it. Do They Know It's Christmas is, by far, the best thing he was ever involved with.

It's not as if Geldof hasn't been living off the song -- maybe not financially, but reputation-wise -- since it came out. Way to bite that hand that feeds.

It sounds a helluva a lot more timeless than his extremely dated Boomtown Rats shit.

As for worst song, that's basically an unanswerable question. So many to chose from, so many different ways to attack a song.

That said, Stars On 45 is pretty fucking hideous.

Draft saved Draft deleted