1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Dylan: Plagiarist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Perhaps Joni Mitchell was on to something when she trashed Bob Dylan in an interview with the Los Angeles Times last week, using words like “plagiarist,” “fake,” and “deception.”

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's been knocking off, for decades. If Woody Guthrie hadn't existed, Dylan's nowhere.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I never understood why Dylan is considered this great songwriter. Listen to the words of some of his songs...like "Hurricane" for instance...just plain badness. "We want to pin this triple mur...der on him, he ain't no Gentleman Jim." WTF is that? If he wasn't stealing lyrics maybe he should have been.
    When he wrote "Like a Rolling Stone" he must have caught lightning in a bottle. However, I do like Jimi's version better. Live at Winterland...check it out.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I remain a fan of his earlier work, but his pre-70s stuff largely dwarfs most of what came later.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then I am not even going to attempt to explain it to you.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I buried this on an old Dylan thread, so I'll add it here:

Pretty interesting: Dylan accused of "plagiarizing" some famous photos in his paintings:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/questions-raised-about-dylan-show-at-gagosian/?hpw

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Busted.

8. YankeeFan

I always just assumed this because those were the songs I knew best, but he has incredible songs all throughout his career.

There's no place on radio for them, so they'll never be the "classics" of his early work, but the span of his songwriting career is unmatched by anybody.

Oh, and yeah, he's "borrowed" throughout his entire career.

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, "Street Legal" is awesome. So, of course, is "Blood on the Tracks." He was never the cultural force he was in the '60s again, but he certainly kept pumping out a lot of outstanding songs and albums.

10. YankeeFan

Keep going. All the way to 2001, at least.

11. Dick Whitman

"Love and Theft" came out on Sept. 11, 2001. I bought it that day. It felt really weird to do it, but I think I was attempting desperately to do something normal that day.

12. YankeeFan

That's the album I was referring to.

I probably didn't hear it for four years. Great album.

Draft saved Draft deleted