1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Board History Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

A question prompted by nothing more than my own curiosity, when did this board come into existence, and to what date do the posts currently archived (if that is the right word) on it go back to?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You're hired?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oct. 2001 I believe.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if you want to go all Genesis, sportspages.com (now gone, I believe) begat sportsjournalism.com #1 which begat the present incarnation.

The original Sportspages.com, started by a guy named Rich Johnson, was a kind of a clearing house for what he considered the best articles/columns of the day. I think he ran into problems when he opened a message board without anyone having to register. Anonymous was a very popular id at the time.
    Can't remember why it was shut down but I think Sandy had something to do with it.

Some of the originals (21, for one) might remember the details more clearly than me.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a predecessor of SJ called MediaBeat or something? Guy ran it out of Florida, I think, and it was a good message board about newsrooms until pressure from his own job led him to take it down.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was here for none of this, but as I understand it:

There was a board called Sportspages.com or something like it that started in the late-1990s. Every post was entirely anonymous, no user names or anything. Then, in 2001 or so, this board started without registration. Then it went down for a bit before it was brought back with registration on Oct. 9, 2002.

As far as post archiving, I think it works something like this: Almost all posts predating 2006 are gone, but for some reason the Livestrong thread ... lives strong. But members' post counts weren't affected when the old posts were deleted.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I heard he moved on to bigger and better things.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Verse: Posts were definitely lost. I had to repass hockeybeat for No. 1 after the 21 crash

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I meant that though the board archives go back only to 2006, you still get credit for posts that no longer exist. Maybe that two-week crash wiped out a bunch for you, but most people probably weren't posting 50 times a day for that entire span. :D

A quick check shows 32,816 dooley_womack1 posts still exist on this board.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, I probably have lost 1,000 to spam threads that were deleted. But no regrets. Even though it is long dead, the phonesexhoneys thread is still one of my favorites

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My favorite post, "Doodah Rhapsody," was deleted in a Doodah thread. Not sure I'll ever break it out again, but I did save it.

Pour a little out for the posts we lost along the way.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wonder where JDV is slumming these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted