1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Board favorite grants interview to lowly blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Sep 13, 2006.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Thanks, Jon. And yes, it was done via email.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Traditional media ... traditional media? You mean, like, where they pay you for your work?

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about this: http://americablog.blogspot.com/2006/09/we-just-had-lunch-in-nyc-with-real.html

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm ashamed about how close that is. Ashamed, but also a little proud.

5. joe

joe Active Member

I was afraid this was my story.

6. Mods -- Isn't it time we started charging this guy the ad rate?

7. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

If that's the case, FB, i guess it's a bad idea to post up the Mariotti interview in Chicago Magazine. Relevant to journalism and the industry, but in your eyes, too much self-promotion.
    Fair enough.

8. BG

BG Member

I get paid for my work. Sorry to squash another misconception that you hold regarding blogging.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but those are two more words that don't go together -- Mariotti and journalism...

10. JonathanG

JonathanG Member

Yep, all 6 bucks an hour for it.

If you pull in the traffic and know what you are doign, you'll quickly be making more than 85% of the journalists out there. Best of all, though, you get to be your own boss and work from home. I know its hard to fathom, but the blogs aren't going away anytime soon.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You are not trying to tell us that bloggers who make a living at it aren't the rare exceptions rather than the rule, are you? I mean Weblogs Inc., one of the biggies, pays between $100 and $3,000 per month. Plus, according to Online Journalism Review, there is increasing pressure to whore for your advertsisers:

http://www.ojr.org/ojr/stories/050412glaser/

Squash? I got your zucchini right here, pal! I believe you mean quash.

12. JonathanG

JonathanG Member

Frank,

Thank you for posting that link. It was very informative, even if is a year and a half old. I guess what this boils down to is that it's difficult to paint all bloggers/online journalists with the same broad brush, just like with the more traditional media. There are many different types of media outlets out there, and they all deal with very different challenges to keep themselves relevant. I personally am looking at this from the perspective of a "stand-alone journalist," an approach that has been relatively successful for me personally in the 3-4 years I've been doing this. Just like on the people that commented on that article you just linked, we have a very well defined niche that we've marketed heavily to the people that find it most interesting, through word of mouth, the search engines or by cooperating with other sites where those same people can be found. I can see how it would be difficult for other online journalists in some of the more competitive markets.

I guess what my point is that the BigLead is trying to differentiate himself from the other content that is out there both in print as well as online. I think he's doing it well so far, but we'll have to see what his product looks like 2-3 years down the road to really decide. If he plays his cards correctly and continues to keep at it, he'll find his niche and make a nice living doing what he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted