1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Board Fav Pierce on Maddow Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 8, 2009.

1. You're absolutely right, dude. Saying that Sarah Palin wants to be famous is just as ridiculous as saying that pro-choice people would vote for her if she had an abortion. Great point. ::)

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I'd like for Mr. Pierce to show one example how taxing a suffering economy has actually grown that economy.

The people who always get the biggest hit - indirectly - of increased taxes are the ones who can least afford it, and Obama pimped those people for votes more successfully than most Democrats do. I hope he enjoyed the connection. I want to see Mr. Pierce's sequel after the 2010 and 12 elections.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Two points:
    1. This debate is, in effect, somewhat partisan, but by the choice of the cultural right for the most part. It is the right that so consistently denies expertise as being part of a left-wing conspiracy. Climatologists are liberals, colleges are liberal, etc. There is such a thing as the left denying right-wing experts based on their "being shills for the establishment," or some such argument, but these days it has become more a part of the right-wing brand, by their choice.

2. I don't think Gladwell and Pierce are at odds. I don't think I should "trust my gut" on how to approach a legal situation, but an experienced attorney, with years of accumulated knowledge and experiences in the field, can trust his gut, but Gladwell's suggestion. Similarly, a doctor can trust "his gut" in a diagnosis, but I probably shouldn't. The accumulation of knowledge is part of the foundation for gut reactions that one may trust.

It's the kind of thing you see with athletes. A lot of coaches will tell you that they want the thinking to happen at practice so that during games, everything will be a reaction, not a thought process. If you are thinking about how to hit the curve ball in the batter's box, you won't hit it, but if you are just thinking "hit the curve ball" and you let the instincts and te muscle memory do it, you stand a better chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted